News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

The Gadfly/Shostakovich

Started by sdtom, Thursday 29 December 2011, 15:12

Previous topic - Next topic

sdtom

I'm working on an article about the suite composed for the 1955 film.

1... Was there anything close to an OST released?

2... Does anyone have the Naxos recording and what is their opinion?

3... Does anyone have the Capriccio recording?

I have the RCA/Serebrier, Chandos/Sinaisky, and an LP transfer of Melodiya/Khachaturian as recordings. Is there anything else to be considered?

Thomas :)

karelm

Hi,

I have these:

Kuchar/Ukrainian State Symphony Orchestra on Naxos
Serebrier on RCA Victor
Shipway/Royal Philharmonic Orchestra on Audiophile
Sinaisky/BBC Philharmonic Orchestra on Chandos
Chailly/Philadelphia Orchestra on Decca
Grin/Berlin Radio Symphony Orchestra on Capriccio
M. Shostakovich/London Symphony on Collins

I think the best recording is the Chandos but the best performance is the Chailly.  All of these are good so you won't go wrong but its such a beautiful piece that hearing it over and over with different interpretations doesn't hurt it.  The Naxos isn't bad, just the one I keep going back to is the Chandos.  Maxim Shostakovich's is the most overtly Tchiakovskian/Mahlerian with its really slow tempo and emphasis on the brooding. 

I don't believe there was an OST in the modern sense but the film can be found online where you can hear the music as it was originally performed for the film if that helps.

TerraEpon

There's never been an OST or a rerecording of the original film music to my knowledge. According to the catalog, the original is quite different. To quote:
"Atovmyan made a considerable number of alterations for the compilation of Op. 97a such as changes of the sequence of items, composing bridge episodes, transpositions
and reorchestrations. According to John Riley a substantial portion of unused fragments of the film music survived in Atovmyan's Suite, Op. 97a."

sdtom

Quote from: karelm on Thursday 29 December 2011, 17:30
Hi,

I have these:

Kuchar/Ukrainian State Symphony Orchestra on Naxos
Serebrier on RCA Victor
Shipway/Royal Philharmonic Orchestra on Audiophile
Sinaisky/BBC Philharmonic Orchestra on Chandos
Chailly/Philadelphia Orchestra on Decca
Grin/Berlin Radio Symphony Orchestra on Capriccio
M. Shostakovich/London Symphony on Collins

I think the best recording is the Chandos but the best performance is the Chailly.  All of these are good so you won't go wrong but its such a beautiful piece that hearing it over and over with different interpretations doesn't hurt it.  The Naxos isn't bad, just the one I keep going back to is the Chandos.  Maxim Shostakovich's is the most overtly Tchiakovskian/Mahlerian with its really slow tempo and emphasis on the brooding. 

I don't believe there was an OST in the modern sense but the film can be found online where you can hear the music as it was originally performed for the film if that helps.

I sent you a PM
Tom

sdtom

Quote from: TerraEpon on Thursday 29 December 2011, 20:45
There's never been an OST or a rerecording of the original film music to my knowledge. According to the catalog, the original is quite different. To quote:
"Atovmyan made a considerable number of alterations for the compilation of Op. 97a such as changes of the sequence of items, composing bridge episodes, transpositions
and reorchestrations. According to John Riley a substantial portion of unused fragments of the film music survived in Atovmyan's Suite, Op. 97a."

Can I say with confidence that 97 is the original opus and the 97a the suite?. Which recordings do you have?
Tom

TerraEpon

Yes, as with all of Shostakovich's music, the suite is the "a" version.

I have the Chandos and the Capriccio.

sdtom

sdtom

[ftphttp://sdtom.wordpress.com/2011/12/30/the-gadflyshostakovich/][/ftp]

The jury is still out on two of the recordings but here is the article. I would like to see the OST come to reality someday.
Tom

sdtom

I just picked up a three CD set on Brilliant with Kuchar conducting the National Symphony Orchestra of Ukraine for less than $10.00. Not only does it include Gadfly but also Bolt, Limpid Stream, Overture on Russian and Kirghiz themes, and a work I've never heard before called Novorossijsk Chimes. It also has the two Jazz Suites, Golden Age, Hamlet, and Festive Overture. The performances are good.
Tom