A Place of our own??

Started by jerfilm, Tuesday 10 January 2012, 15:58

Previous topic - Next topic

jerfilm

Just out of curiosity, judging from the number of uploads that seem to be disappearing from MediaFire and other sources, I don't suppose there is some way we could establish our own, private place to upload the treasures that we have?

Probably too expensive or too much work, but just a thought.....

Jerry

albion

Quote from: jerfilm on Tuesday 10 January 2012, 15:58judging from the number of uploads that seem to be disappearing from MediaFire and other sources

I can't even begin to imagine what might cause this.

???

Of all the myriad file-hosting services out there I still think that mediafire is preferable. I have a mediaPro account and check fairly regularly that things are in order over at BMB - at present everything seems to be there that should be there. If anybody should happen to notice anything amiss with the British section (obvious example: something is listed in the catalogue that isn't in the archive), please notify me straight away and I will investigate. As it is, I have saved the vast majority of files to memory-sticks, so if anything does go AWOL it should be quickly retrievable.

8)

If uploading members are experiencing problems they should contact mediafire directly - I've generally found their staff to be extremely helpful.

:)

Quote from: jerfilm on Tuesday 10 January 2012, 15:58I don't suppose there is some way we could establish our own, private place to upload the treasures that we have?

Probably too expensive or too much work, but just a thought.....

Probably you are correct!

;)

Dundonnell

The problems seem to have occurred with files uploaded some time ago either to other file-sharing sites or, in some cases, to Mediafire. Obviously those who were interested at the time these files were first made available would have downloaded them then. Others-either new members going back to look through the national country files or trying to get through a backlog of downloads because they were too busy at the time with their own uploads( ;D ;D ;D)-are now finding these files to be missing or are being notified that the link is invalid or locked to "private".

I have posted in the Downloads Discussion section listing those files I have personally been unable to access and, hopefully, these can be restored.

Very few files, for example, on Page 1 of the Russia and Soviet section are still accessible :(

TerraEpon

Could always set up a torrent tracker which would not only help keep bandwidth costs waaaaaaaay down (being that everyone is sharing a 'piece of the pie' as it were), but if a file can't be accessed, anyone who has it can easily reshare.

Not that I know how to set one up or anything.

Mark Thomas

I too find my dropped files at MediaFire inexplicable, especially as, like Albion, I have a pro account. That said, I do agree that MediaFire is much more reliable than most file hosts.

As for hosting the files centrally at UC or an affiliate, I just don't think it's a practical proposition - the security and cost implications of a reliable solution are daunting. Added to which it seems to me that there's an important principle here: we share our files and so we should be organising our own storage.