Alexis Weissenberg (1929-2012)

Started by Peter1953, Tuesday 10 January 2012, 21:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter1953

Last Sunday afternoon I listened again to my favourite performance of Chopin's PC1 by the Orchestre de la Société des Concerts du Conservatoire under the baton of Stanislaw Skrowaczewski  with Alexis Weissenberg at the piano.
Today I've read in the newspaper the obituary of Alexis Weissenberg. He is considered as a controversial pianist. Some people think his playing is disgusting, others admire his powerful virtuosity. For me his interpretations of Chopin's music for piano and orchestra (1967) is definitive.
I didn't realize that Weissenberg also composed piano music (see here) and even a musical, La Fugue (1979).

Any specific opinions about Alexis Weissenberg?

eschiss1

Haven't heard his compositions yet but I saw a review of a recording of several of them in BBC Music Magazine a few years back, including I think arrangements of excerpts from La Fugue and works originally intended for solo piano (here is a review from this month's MusicWeb. Reissued CD I believe but looks like the same one- will have to check...) As to his playing I recall enjoying what I've heard. Had not heard that his playing was even controversial (no offense meant to his memory ... ! )

Martin Eastick

I remember the Weissenberg recording of Chopin's 4 'other' works for piano & orchestra as the first LP I bought -  in 1969, as I particularly wanted to hear the Variations on "La ci darem", which looked to me at that time almost unplayable, and was (and still is) rarely played. I have to say that I was not at all disappointed - far from it! In fact, not long after I heard the Claudio Arrau recording (my recollection is that these were the only two versions then obtainable) and have to say that I was rather disappointed in what I considered to be a rather pedestrian performance after Weissenberg's electric virtuosity!

The Weissenberg performances of Chopin are still unashamedly my number one choice these several decades later!

alberto

I saw and heard Weissenberg in concert at least ten times between 1970 and 1985 ( the last time he performed the rare Rachmaninov First Sonata which he also recorded). I listened to solo recitals , one duo recital with A.S. Mutter, concertos with orchestra (with conductors like Masur and Pretre).
He never played as en encore a piece of his own.
Many years after his last concert to which I attended, I heard M.A. Hamelin playing as en ancore an arrangement by Weissenberg of a song by Charles Trenet. That prompted me to buy Hyperion CDA67656 containing (among with Gulda, Kapustin and Antheil) the "Sonate en etat de Jazz" and "Six arrangement of songs by C.Trenet" of A.Weissenberg.
The former work is of formidable complexity and difficulty (for the player) , but, like the easier "arrangements", of real satisfaction for my listening.

Revilod

Sorry to hear of Weissenberg's death. I remember that disc of Chopin's  shorter works for piano and orchestra with affection. I think Weissenberg was underappreciated. He had a reputation for being a terrific virtuoso but rather a detached interpreter.  He had a somewhat severe platform manner which could suggest lack of involvement. Karajan favoured him (I have a VHS tape of them in Tchaikovsky's 1st Concerto) perhaps because he didn't detract too much from the great man on the podium!

Lionel Harrsion

Like Martin and Revilod, I recall with great affection Weissenberg's recording of Chopin's shorter works for piano and orchestra -- in fact, I am listening to it as I type!  While I agree with colleagues' assessments of the interpretations, I always thought it sad that the recording itself was pretty sub-standard -- the orchestral contributions (which were, in any case, executed rather perfunctorily) sound as if they were recorded in another room and there are some very audible edits.  Having said that, I never found any other recording of these pieces that's wholly satisfying and you can't deny the conviction and brilliance of the Weissenberg's performances!  May he rest in peace.

john_boyer

When I was attending the gunnery school at the Great Lakes Naval Training Center in the summer and fall of 1982, I would ride the Chicago & Northwestern down to Ravinia and then, after the weather cooled, to the Windy City itself to take advantage of the concerts there. 

One of the first concerts I heard was at Ravinia.  Mr. Weissenberg gave a solo recital in the big hall.  The two major offerings were Schumann's Fantasy in C, Op. 17, and Rachmaninoff's Sonata #1 in D minor, Op. 28.  It will always be one of my most fondly remembered concerts.  Mr. Weissenberg held my utmost attention from first to last.  The cool night time air blowing off Lake Michigan through the hall's open sides and back somehow added to the experience, tying nature, which both composers loved, to the music coming from the stage.

I couldn't very well tell my mates in the gunnery school how much it meant to me, but it's nice to be able to do so now, thirty years later.  The memory serves to remind me of the power and the importance of music and art.

Mr. Weissenberg, from the bottom of my heart, thank you!