Main Menu

Sigismond Thalberg

Started by thalbergmad, Wednesday 28 October 2009, 18:11

Previous topic - Next topic

JimL

Quote from: kolaboy on Monday 16 January 2012, 01:11
Quote from: JimL on Sunday 15 January 2012, 23:56
Quote from: kolaboy on Sunday 15 January 2012, 23:39
I enjoy a great many of Thalberg's solo piano pieces - especially the op.75 Les Soirees De Pausilippe - but the concerto has never really clicked with me. Particularly the last movement, whose primary theme seems to have been tossed off without much thought. I hope it was tossed off without much thought...

The sonata seems an attempt at profundity. I admire the attempt, if not the piece as a whole.

No offense intended to any who cherish the piece, of course  :)
I adore the Trio in A Major.  It is indeed a shame that he never attempted a 2nd concerto in a more mature style (the F minor concerto was composed when he was but 18 years old).   

It's rather odd that he didn't have a second go at a concerto. I'd love to hear his musings on the form from his latter years...

You've reminded me that I haven't listened to the trio in ages; a situation which must soon be rectified. And how about some enterprising opera company tackling Florinda?
Tackling an opera that flopped when it was first premiered over a century ago is a pretty daunting task.  As I recall, it had a pretty stupid libretto.

eschiss1

Ok, for an opera to have a libretto so stupid that people actually take notice - is either truly impressive as a relative matter, or a comment on the music :(

kolaboy

Quote from: eschiss1 on Tuesday 17 January 2012, 00:07
Ok, for an opera to have a libretto so stupid that people actually take notice - is either truly impressive as a relative matter, or a comment on the music :(

It may be the 19th century equivalent of a Ed Wood film. Which strangely enough makes me want to hear it all the more  ;D

Peter1953

Another celebration of Thalberg's bicentennial anniversary must be this pleasant surprise.

thalbergmad

Well spotted that man. A certain purchase for sure.

Thal