News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Sigismond Thalberg

Started by thalbergmad, Wednesday 28 October 2009, 18:11

Previous topic - Next topic

thalbergmad

I thought I would start a thread on my favourite "Unsung".

The first time I came across him was on reading Schonberg's excellent book titled "The Great Pianists". It was sometime before a chance visit to a record store in London resulted in me purchasing a disk called "The Art of Transcription" by Earl Wild, which included Thalberg's Fantasia on Rossini's Semiramide amongst other gems. From then on I was hooked and could not resist purchasing the excellent series of recordings by Nicolosi.

I think of Thalberg as a great transcriber rather than a great composer, as his own works do not move me greatly, apart from the piano concerto which i love. I find some of his transcriptions superior to those of Liszt as they are not so orchestral and equally as inventive. His transcription of Bellini's Sonnambula is probably my favourite and barely a week passes by when i do not listen to it. Regretfully after 2 months of considerable effort i gave up with trying to play it.

I would be interested to read other members opinions on this composer.

Thal

Peter1953

I've been waiting for this thread, simply because I'm very fond of Thalberg. I have a collection of 11 CDs of music only by Thalberg, and another 4 CDs partly filled with Thalberg, one of them with the gorgeous Piano Trio in A Major, op. 69 (coupled with another very pleasant Piano Trio by Moscheles).
Strangely enough I am not that fond of his Piano Concerto, because I don't like the main theme in the first movement. There are better piano concertos by young virtuoso, to be used as a show piece on the stage.
His transcriptions and fantasies on opera's are delicate, brillant, virtuoso and in fact elegant as well. His Grande Sonate in C Minor, op. 56, is a beautiful piece as well, but, it's not his best larger scale work as I feel it. A rather strange work is L'art du chant appliqué au piano, op. 70. This opus consists of four series of in total 25 pieces, written for pianists who like to play easy but lovely music. Definitely nothing you would expect from a virtuoso like Thalberg. I have two CDs (part I and II) played by Victoria Power on Polymnia, a small (?) Swedish label.
My absolute favourite Thalberg CD is simply called Piano Music, by Stefan Irmer on MDG, released this year. The Twelve Studies or Douze Études, op. 26, are more than brillant, and I can only speak in superlatives. Thal, and all other piano music lovers, if you don't know this disc, it's a must-buy.

For me, Thalberg belongs together with Liszt, Chopin, Von Henselt and Rubinstein to the Great Virtuosos and Piano Personalities of the 19th century. I cannot do without my Thalberg collection.

Another reason why I love Thalberg is the fact that he spend his last years as a vinegrower. In this time of the year, when leaves are turning, days are shortening, it's a very pleasant way to spend some time near the fire, with a good glass of burgundy, listening to Francesco Nicolosi playing Thalberg...  :D

thalbergmad

For those who would like to sample a little Thalberg, one of my internet buddies recorded Thalberg's "Moses" Fantasy at this years Edinburgh Fringe Festival.

He is a very capable amateur pianist and this is a damned good effort.

http://rapidshare.com/files/299200161/moses_part_1.mp3
http://rapidshare.com/files/299201632/moses_part_2.mp3

Thal

thalbergmad

Thanks for your response Peter.

I think Thalberg's Le art du Chant is possibly his most important contribution to the pianistic world. I cannot think of a better set of pieces to help develop a clear singing line. I am not totally convinced with the Powell recording and feel one of our modern virtuosi should have a go at these. Poor Ms Powell does not appear to be able to stretch a 10th and i think this detracts from some of the pieces.

I agree the Etudes disk is a must, but i think they all are :o

There is one question which i would dearly love an answer to. In Shonberg's excellent book, there is a photo of Thalberg that is clearly NOT him. I have not been able to find out who it actually is and this has bothered me for years.

My undying gratitude to whoever can answer this.

Thal

thalbergmad

Happy 200th birthday to my favourite composer.

A peaceful afternoon in listening to Thalberg transcriptions is about to commence with some Bellini.

Thal

albion

Quote from: thalbergmad on Sunday 08 January 2012, 13:34Happy 200th birthday to my favourite composer.

A peaceful afternoon in listening to Thalberg transcriptions is about to commence with some Bellini.

Thal

The candles were a bit of a fire-hazard...

:o

...but anyway enjoy the special day, Thal.

;D

Any double-century celebrations or recordings that you're looking forward to in 2012?

???

saxtromba

Unmentioned thus far is Thalberg's one sonata (c minor, Op. 56), which I have always thought would be a natural for a barnstorming finale to a recital.  Adrian Ruiz released a vigorous performance on a Genesis LP many years ago; if there's been a CD release, I've not heard it, or even heard of it.  But it's worth tracking the piece down; while it's not what you could call profound music, there's remarkably little fat on its bones, so that the virtuosic elements stand out all the more thrillingly. especially in the last movement (with which I think Alkan and Saint-Saens must have been familiar).

thalbergmad

The sonata was released on CD and most excellently played by Ian Hominick.

Rather than see me get ripped of by Amazon sellers, Mr Hominick sent me the CD free of charge.

Damned decent fellow and a pianist ideally equipped for this repetoire.

Thal

thalbergmad

Quote from: Albion on Sunday 08 January 2012, 16:34
Any double-century celebrations or recordings that you're looking forward to in 2012?

Regretfully, the complete piano works project looks to be on hold, but I hope some CD's might be released this year.

The modern generation of pianists do not seem to be overly interested in Thalberg and in general he is a composer/transcriber that is beyond all but the most accomplished amateur. It is one thing to play the notes, but another to clearly extract the melody which is often hidden amongst trills and arpeggios.

A pianist like Marshev or Katsaris would be ideal for this kind of repetoire.

Thal

PS: memo to Radio 3. Not a good week to infest my ears with Schumann.

Gareth Vaughan

I had the good fortune to pick up a copy of the Hominick CD shortly before it was deleted and became "rara avis". It's a splendid recital and the sonata a truly exciting work.

Jonathan

I also have the CD and agree it is excellent.  Incidentally, I read a very unpleasant comment about Thalberg on Amazon last week in relation to another disc.  The individual who wrote the comment was obviously not familiar with the Sonata.

Having seen how poorly Liszt was treated in 2011 (not just by the BBC but the record companies too), I would be surprised if there were many CDs of Thalberg's music released this year which would be a great pity. 

Note to self: I really should get round to buying the 2 CDs on Polymnia and I'm sorry to hear the project was shelved.

Martin Eastick

Thalberg's Op56 is a great favourite of mine too - ever since hearing the Ruiz LP when it first appeared. Although I feel that it is far from the ideal performance, it is IMHO the better of the two so far available, and I'm afraid I cannot like Hominicks's version at all. (the other pieces on this CD are far better served by this artist).

I listened to the Sonata once when I first obtained the CD some 15 years ago and have just listened to it again for the second time and have not changed my opinion - in fact it seemed worse on a second hearing.

The initial opening of the allegro moderato, is surely taken way too fast and in far too much of a matter-of-fact manner - this is more than accentuated when the first theme appears, where the tempo is eased slightly - perhaps to accomodate the dotted rhythms, which becomes rather smudged at times, especially so where it appears in the left hand with the customary large stretches. Surely this rather noble first movement would benefit overall with a slower tempo - more maestoso? -  although I accept that the rubato used helps out in places! The last movement however is my greatest disappointment - it lacks the excitement that Ruiz manages, and there are far too many scrappy passages which just don't work well, as well as more than a few mistakes & misreadings re accidentals & rhythms (there are discrepancies between the German Breitkopf & English Cramer Beale editions - it would appear from the errors that Breitkopf was used here) but I would surely have expected these to have been spotted and rectified before recording. Overall I do not consider this was prepared anywhere near enough IMHO!

Although I accept that the Sonata is technically difficult to pull off well, perhaps deceptively so, I do hope that someone with the necessary attributes may take the time and effort to produce a definitive recording/performance of quality that this interesting and attractive work requires.

I apologise if my comments above don't find favour with some members but opinions do differ and having performed this work several times some years ago with nthusiastic response, I feel that it warrants the best attention to ensure a wider audience!!

kolaboy

I enjoy a great many of Thalberg's solo piano pieces - especially the op.75 Les Soirees De Pausilippe - but the concerto has never really clicked with me. Particularly the last movement, whose primary theme seems to have been tossed off without much thought. I hope it was tossed off without much thought...

The sonata seems an attempt at profundity. I admire the attempt, if not the piece as a whole.

No offense intended to any who cherish the piece, of course  :)

JimL

Quote from: kolaboy on Sunday 15 January 2012, 23:39
I enjoy a great many of Thalberg's solo piano pieces - especially the op.75 Les Soirees De Pausilippe - but the concerto has never really clicked with me. Particularly the last movement, whose primary theme seems to have been tossed off without much thought. I hope it was tossed off without much thought...

The sonata seems an attempt at profundity. I admire the attempt, if not the piece as a whole.

I adore the Trio in A Major.  It is indeed a shame that he never attempted a 2nd concerto in a more mature style (the F minor concerto was composed when he was but 18 years old).   

kolaboy

Quote from: JimL on Sunday 15 January 2012, 23:56
Quote from: kolaboy on Sunday 15 January 2012, 23:39

I adore the Trio in A Major.  It is indeed a shame that he never attempted a 2nd concerto in a more mature style (the F minor concerto was composed when he was but 18 years old).   

It's rather odd that he didn't have a second go at a concerto. I'd love to hear his musings on the form from his latter years...

You've reminded me that I haven't listened to the trio in ages; a situation which must soon be rectified. And how about some enterprising opera company tackling Florinda?