The SBB uploads more music

Started by eschiss1, Wednesday 18 January 2012, 03:05

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

(Again, not me, but I am a fan :) )
Listened to a few of the more recent recordings on IMSLP by Steve's Bedroom Band (http://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Steve's_Bedroom_Band) and have been quite pleased by some in particular. (Not sure when the most recent such post was made...) 

I've enjoyed Marteau's first two string quartets (mentioned in other contexts in this forum recently), Ferdinand David's string sextet, the brief divertimento of Bernhard Sekles, the string quartet no.1 of Sean Hennessy, the 2nd string sextet of Reuss (best work I think I've heard by Reuss to date), string quartet (from 1903 - no.2 I think, there is at least one earlier one) by Konrad Heubner (concludes with a fine and affecting variations and fugue; just heard this one and really thought well of it...)  I think I liked the Leichtentritt quartet rather alot also but must listen to it again.

eschiss1

Some more interesting uploads by the Band recently - just today the only modern recording (that I know of?) of a work by David Stanley Smith (1877-1949)
here (quartet in C minor, 1921-22, his 3rd not counting an early not published "opus 2"),
(note: a CD claiming - on its cover and at the pianist's website- to have some brief dances for 2 pianists by David Stanley Smith- is correctly listed here - the "Festival Suite" op.21 on that recording is William Storey Smith.)  Anyhow, Smith's quartet- the first work I've heard of his (after quite awhile hearing about him, looking at his music at the library and etc.), seems to build to its center- a statement of the plainsong from which everything else has, in retrospect, derived- and this seems on one listen to have worked fairly nicely in all.  I like it, anyway.

Also relatively recently recorded by Steve's Bedroom Band (see IMSLP) are string works (and other works) by Henri Rabaud, Jacob Rosenhain, Jørgen Bentzon, Rudolf Karel (his 2nd string quartet, probably from around 1910 or so, a big piece but it seems to me a good one), the trio serenade of Roderich Mojsisovics, a quartet and a quintet by Aleksandr Winkler, another quartet by Reznicek, Frederick Corder's 1908 Elegy for strings (24 violins) and organ, Joseph Haas' trio divertimento, and other works some also very good and memorable in my opinion; so I thought I would mention. :)

Leea25

Thank you eschiss - I have downloaded a lot of their recordings. The quality varies enormously, but it's great to be able to hear these rare pieces! I wonder who Steve's Bedroom Band are, and how many of them there are. I bit of me things it might be 'Steve' playing all the parts!

JimL

That bit of you is quite right, Lee!  I think Steve plays viola and uses a computer to convert his instrument into violins and cello.

eschiss1

Hrm- I believe he uses violin and viola and uses computer to convert the viola into a cello, but I may be mistaken.

Leea25

That's very clever. Long may he keep up his good work!