Korngold Symphony in F-Sharp

Started by sdtom, Sunday 22 January 2012, 14:18

Previous topic - Next topic

sdtom

What is the opinion of the Kempe recording of this work, the first commercial release I believe, in 1972 with the Munich Symphony? I have the Delos recording with the Oregon Symphony.
Tom :)

mbhaub

It's well conducted, among the most theatric performances, and for those of us who got to know the symphony because of Kempe, our favortie.  But, since that recording was made there have been several that are more recommendable because they are better played and much better recorded. Personally, Albrecht on Pentatone or Storsgard on Ondine are superb in every way. Some people don't like Previn so much, but I think it's also excellent as is the DePriest on Delos. The cpo isn't a contender, and the Downes is just so-so. Welser-Most is pretty good, too. But in the work if SACD surround sound is available, get it! The other problem with the Kempe is it's hard to get. But for Korngold fans, and for nostalgic reasons, I'll keep my copy forever.

sdtom

Quote from: mbhaub on Sunday 22 January 2012, 14:50
It's well conducted, among the most theatric performances, and for those of us who got to know the symphony because of Kempe, our favortie.  But, since that recording was made there have been several that are more recommendable because they are better played and much better recorded. Personally, Albrecht on Pentatone or Storsgard on Ondine are superb in every way. Some people don't like Previn so much, but I think it's also excellent as is the DePriest on Delos. The cpo isn't a contender, and the Downes is just so-so. Welser-Most is pretty good, too. But in the work if SACD surround sound is available, get it! The other problem with the Kempe is it's hard to get. But for Korngold fans, and for nostalgic reasons, I'll keep my copy forever.

I was able to find a copy of the Kempe on Varese (VSD 5346) for $11.00 so I ordered it as I'm a Korngold fan because of Gerhardt/National Philharmonic recordings. I'll let you know what I think.
Tom

Alan Howe

I cannot comment on Kempe. What I do know is that Albrecht on Pentatone is absolutely superb in interpretation, playing and recording.

semloh

Quote from: Alan Howe on Sunday 22 January 2012, 20:53
I cannot comment on Kempe. What I do know is that Albrecht on Pentatone is absolutely superb in interpretation, playing and recording.

I loved the work when I first heard it decades ago, on the Kempe LP, having 'discovered' Korngold through the boxed set of Die Todt Stat conducted by Liensdorf. I have CDs of both now - the opera on Naxos (Segerstam) and the Symphony on EMI (Welser-Möst) - but I really still prefer those older versions.  ::)

Alan Howe

Well, Leinsdorf's version of the opera is miles better than Segerstam's. But it's different with the Symphony: since Kempe there have been some excellent recordings.

alberto

If I rember right the Kempe has a short cut in the Scherzo.
Anyway I treasure it in LP format (I have four Cd versions: Previn, Welser-Moest, De Preist, Albert-Cpo: only the last I would rate fairly low).

sdtom

[urlhttp://sdtom.wordpress.com/wp-admin/post.php?post=2465&action=edit&message=6&postpost=v2][/url]

I'll further comment on this when the Kempe arrives by post. It sure doesn't sound like it was composed in the 50's.

mbhaub

Yes, the Kempe does have a short cut in the scherzo for some unknown reason. But that was acceptable in the 60's. Too bad, though.

Latvian

If any of our forum members live in the Boston, Massachusetts area, I just learned that the Boston University Symphony Orchestra will  be performing the Korngold Symphony this spring. I'll provide more specifics once I know them, if anyone is interested in attending. I hope I can get there!

dafrieze

Hi Latvian,

I'm a Bostonian, and it looks like my alma mater's orchestra is performing the Korngold Symphony on February 9, at the end of a concert that otherwise comprises film music:  Korngold's overture to The Sea Hawk, Three Scenes from Vertigo by Bernard Herrmann, and Bernstein's On the Waterfront suite.  It's conducted by David Hoose, who is extremely good.  Thanks for the heads up on this - I'll plan to attend!

mbhaub

Let's see: an amateur orchestra, a terrible difficult symphony, a very difficult overture, the Herrmann which isn't too bad to play, and the Bernstein -- no easy piece there either. This must be one fine student orchestra with a lot of rehearsal time because on paper that is one tough concert which many professional orchestras would be challenged to pull off. Wish I could go,every piece is a total winner.

Latvian

QuoteLet's see: an amateur orchestra, a terrible difficult symphony, a very difficult overture, the Herrmann which isn't too bad to play, and the Bernstein -- no easy piece there either. This must be one fine student orchestra with a lot of rehearsal time because on paper that is one tough concert which many professional orchestras would be challenged to pull off. Wish I could go,every piece is a total winner.

Hardly "an amateur orchestra"!  :) The members are all music students, mostly at the graduate level, studying with top musicians in their field, and quite experienced!

minacciosa

Quote from: sdtom on Sunday 22 January 2012, 14:18
What is the opinion of the Kempe recording of this work, the first commercial release I believe, in 1972 with the Munich Symphony? I have the Delos recording with the Oregon Symphony.
Absolutely fantastic, and still the best.

chill319

mbhaub's comments certainly apply to me. I love the Kempe; it is still a visceral performance, and well recorded for its day. But if you are seeking a first CD of this ambitious and IMO successful work, the place to start is with one of the recent recordings recommended by mbhaub and Alan.