Bruno Walter (1876-1962)

Started by Peter1953, Thursday 26 January 2012, 20:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

Quote from: mbhaub on Saturday 28 January 2012, 03:05
Funny you should mention Howard Hanson. At least among the others named, I think he's decidedly 2nd rate, and it's safe to say that that's the verdict of history. When was the last time any major orchestra played anything of his other than for recording purposes? The 2nd Symphony is the only one anyone plays nowadays, and then it's always amateur and semi-pro orchestras. Maybe high school bands play some his music, I don't know. By coincidence, I'm in rehearsals now for the 2nd and every time I play I remember what a truly stirring and beautiful work it is. Maybe it is the long sought after "Great American Symphony".

But what about his conducting? Collectors of American music will forever be grateful to him for his pioneering work, no doubt. But his small string section (4 basses is all they could muster in Eastman?) and the deadly accurate Mercury recordings make those recordings distinctly inferior to the superb work from Jarvi in Detroit, Schwartz in Seattle, and then the Naxos series. I've talked to a lot of people who knew and played under Hanson and every one of them said he had a weird conducting technique, but somehow he got you to play better than you ever thought you could. Sadly, there aren't recordings of him doing standard repertoire to judge him by.

But back to Walter. I've been on a Beethoven kick lately. Listening to a lot of new recordings -- historically correct and all that. Very good. Then this week, just for old times sake I listened to an old set: Walter, the stereo remakes. When I was younger  I found them dull and not so interesting. But now, older, I found them really moving, beautifully paced and not nearly as bad as I remembered. They may not have the granite like quality of Klemperer, but Walter's Beethoven isn't bad at all. His Dvorak is superb, too. Just to bad he didn't pick up composing tips fromt them.

I am not quite sure that I understand your point about Hanson ???

You say that he is "decidedly 2nd rate" but then talk very enthusiastically about the Second Symphony. I certainly think that Hanson's symphonies are quite splendid pieces, romantic, rich, rousing, colourful and that Hanson was a very very fine conductor, not just of his own music but of that of other American composers :)

Amongst other, reasonably giften conductor/composers I don't think we should forget Sir Eugene Goossens, Rafael Kubelik, Jean Martinon, Igor Markevitch, Paul Paray, Andre Previn, Victor de Sabata or Evgeni Svetlanov ;D

Alan Howe

Meanwhile, let's get back to Walter from whom we have strayed somewhat...

petershott@btinternet.com

A most gracious reply, Peter the younger!

I do hope the Walter begins to 'work' for you on a second attempt. I'm still convinced that, though clearly not a masterwork, it is a terrific piece. And Botstein and cpo are to be thanked for it.

Warm best wishes to you,

Methuselah Peter