News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Paavo BERGLUND

Started by semloh, Thursday 26 January 2012, 23:41

Previous topic - Next topic

semloh

I realize that our topic is composers, but I just had to note the passing of the great conductor Paavo Berglund, announced on ABC Classic FM this morning. The announcer said they were having difficulty finding a recording featuring his conducting, to play by way of tribute!!  :o :o 
I mean - Finland's greatest conductor!

Poor show, ABC!  >:(

Dundonnell

That's very sad :(

He was indeed a very, very fine conductor :) I remember buying his boxed set of Sibelius's marvellous Kullervo Symphony on LP many, many years ago. He was Principal Conductor of the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra for a time.

mbhaub

Another great passes into history. It was Bergland's recordings of Nielsen that finally opened that composer up to me. And the Kullervo, too.

semloh

Quote from: Dundonnell on Thursday 26 January 2012, 23:52
That's very sad :(

He was indeed a very, very fine conductor :) I remember buying his boxed set of Sibelius's marvellous Kullervo Symphony on LP many, many years ago. He was Principal Conductor of the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra for a time.

Yes,I always enjoyed his conducting.  I bought that box too - marvellous performances - and his other Sibelius on LPs/CDs too.  :)

eschiss1

I remember a tape I borrowed in college (Finlandia label?) in which he conducted Sibelius' 4th symphony which may have been my introduction to that work (have since heard him in a wide range of repertoire). Excellent contributions to music - sad news.

Alan Howe

I saw him do Sibelius (4 - I think) in Bournemouth in the seventies. When there wasn't silence as he was about to conduct, I remember him turning round and giving the offenders a very stern look indeed. But he was a very fine conductor, I agree...

semloh

Quote from: Alan Howe on Friday 27 January 2012, 08:00
I saw him do Sibelius (4 - I think) in Bournemouth in the seventies. When there wasn't silence as he was about to conduct, I remember him turning round and giving the offenders a very stern look indeed. But he was a very fine conductor, I agree...

... very stern looks ...  sounds like he was just the right man to conduct Sibelius, and perhaps especially Kullervo!  ;D