New Duttons for February

Started by BFerrell, Saturday 28 January 2012, 14:28

Previous topic - Next topic

BFerrell

I copied and pasted what I was sent.

Alan Howe

Quote from: Tapiola on Saturday 28 January 2012, 19:05
I was very fortunate to uncover what I did. The source is very involved with the Dutton series.  If I must name a "source" I will not pass on any further information in the future.

No problem, of course. I thought the releases might have been advertised somewhere that I hadn't spotted.

BFerrell

Dutton is incredibly tight-lipped about future releases. Many times they respond with strange, vague replies. I got lucky in that I had some dealings with the right person today and just asked. Surprisingly, their email included the list I pasted.

BFerrell

Also, I understand that the Austin symphony has been "cleaned up" and the score they used is much more accurate than the one RLPO  used.

violinconcerto

Quote from: Dundonnell on Saturday 28 January 2012, 19:34
Dutton issued a cd completely devoted to Christopher Wright's music in 2009(CDLX 7240) and added his Oboe Concerto a year later(CDLX 7249).

Fortunate indeed is Mr. Wright :)

OK, I found him and his violin concerto. The composition is brand new (if I understand the catalogue on his website correctly). I never heard of him before. Why the heck is his violin concerto coupled with a Vaughan Williams symphony?

Alan Howe

Quote from: violinconcerto on Saturday 28 January 2012, 21:54
Why the heck is his violin concerto coupled with a Vaughan Williams symphony?

Dunno. Some of Dutton's couplings are quixotic, to say the least...

Christo

Quote from: Tapiola on Saturday 28 January 2012, 14:28
7286  Christ Wright Violin Conc; Vaughan Williams Sym 5 (world premiere rec of new edition by Peter Horton)

We all know Christ Wright, of course ('Mr. Wright' for us here). But who's ever heard of a "world premiere" of RVW's Fifth?  8)

Dundonnell

Quote from: Alan Howe on Saturday 28 January 2012, 22:57
Quote from: violinconcerto on Saturday 28 January 2012, 21:54
Why the heck is his violin concerto coupled with a Vaughan Williams symphony?

Dunno. Some of Dutton's couplings are quixotic, to say the least...

'Quixotic' indeed ::)

As Tobias has pointed out, Wright's Violin Concerto appears to be a brand new work, written in memory of the composer's wife.

I reiterate that Wright is certainly very fortunate that Dutton are giving him such exposure on cd. I do not wish to appear in any way churlish; the violin concerto may turn out to be a magnificent work. But it has to be said that there are a considerable number of violin concertos by much better-known British composers which also deserve to be recorded.

Jimfin

Quite, I think we could all make a list of concertos we would like to see, but I like the way Dutton introduce me to people I have never heard of, often to my pleasant surprise. I shall buy all of these, as I have for the last three sets of releases (apart from 'Miss Austen' and Doreen Carwithen).
     When it says "February", do you think it means the next week or so, or the end of the month?

BFerrell

Just an "educated" guess, mid-month. Just a guess though. :P

Jimfin

It's awful, I get this period of weeks when I look daily at the Dutton site to see if there's any change. It's a terrible addiction!

Dundonnell

Quote from: Jimfin on Sunday 29 January 2012, 00:42
Quite, I think we could all make a list of concertos we would like to see, but I like the way Dutton introduce me to people I have never heard of, often to my pleasant surprise. I shall buy all of these, as I have for the last three sets of releases (apart from 'Miss Austen' and Doreen Carwithen).
     When it says "February", do you think it means the next week or so, or the end of the month?

Did you mention "a list" ??? ;D

The Arnold Cooke, the Daniel Jones, the William Mathias would all qualify, as would the Peter Racine Fricker 2nd, the Iain Hamilton 2nd and the John McCabe 1st and 2nd :) :)

(At least the Cooke, Jones and McCabe 2nd can be downloaded from this site :))

eschiss1

World premiere of VW 5th- hrm- are there differing versions as there are for his 2nd?

Jimfin

As long as it's not some arrangement for pianos or something, like they did for the Elgar 2nd. I understand the usefulness of arranging an orchestral work for piano duet for study purposes, but I do not understand the need to make a recording of it.

britishcomposer

Quote from: eschiss1 on Sunday 29 January 2012, 04:58
World premiere of VW 5th- hrm- are there differing versions as there are for his 2nd?

As far as I know - from a BBC Radio 3 documentary 2008 - the score was quite illegible and some major misprints have been corrected. Don't know exactly if they can actually be heard in performance but there is e. g. a timpani roll at the climax of the slow movement which has to be played at beginning of the bar in accordance with the climax, not a quarter later.