Azerbaijani composers

Started by cjvinthechair, Tuesday 31 January 2012, 11:53

Previous topic - Next topic

cjvinthechair

Always on the lookout for 'novelty', was intrigued by the Naxos disc 'Azerbaijani piano concertos', which I found fascinating, and has led me to try to find out a little more about Fikret Amirov & fellow countrymen/women.
Anyone know/have anything more ?

Thanks.                          Clive.

Latvian

Some very enjoyable and intriguing music, indeed! I've got quite a bit from this corner of the world, so I'll try to do an upload in the near future.

Christopher

Fikret Amirov's "Azerbaijan Capriccio" (of 1961) is a real romp and will definitely get your air-baton going! (is an air-baton the classical world's equivalent of the rock world's air-guitar?!). Anyway, it's that good.

(and if you want to read a wonderful, but little-known, book set in that part of the world, read "Ali and Nino" by Kurban Said, but I digress, save to say that it is ASKING for operatic/balet treatment....)

TerraEpon

I'm always up to listen to more Amirov. I really love the work on that disc, as well as the other Naxos disc ('Symphonic Mugams' I think), and the long-deleted Olympia set with the utterly wonderful and colorful ballet Arabian Nights, String Sinfonietta, and another recording of Shur.

cjvinthechair

Latvian, if you have some regional music you'd be prepared to share that would be just terrific !  I'll keep fingers crossed.     Clive.

Christopher

Quote from: TerraEpon on Tuesday 31 January 2012, 18:13
I'm always up to listen to more Amirov. I really love the work on that disc, as well as the other Naxos disc ('Symphonic Mugams' I think), and the long-deleted Olympia set with the utterly wonderful and colorful ballet Arabian Nights, String Sinfonietta, and another recording of Shur.

The Naxos "Symphonic Mugams" disc has the Azerbaijan Capriccio, but a much better version is the one on Olympia (OCD 490) with the Moscow Radio-TV Symphony Orchestra conducted by Yalchin Adigezalov. Highly recommend it!