A UC Trading Section

Started by mikehopf, Thursday 02 February 2012, 21:32

Previous topic - Next topic

mikehopf

Would it be feasible to have a Trading Section on the UC site where members can buy or sell LPs and CDs?

As an example, my collection is far too esoteric to appeal to most E-Bay users, but many of my recordings would doubtless appeal to UC collectors.

All trades to be conducted on a personal basis without the need for UC to get involved with money transactions , with perhaps
a percentage of each sale to be donated to the UC Website on an honour basis.

allison

In financial straits I went through my collection, esoteric as yours I am sure, and picked out some things I thought I could part with. My attempts to sell them all fell flat, but the most humiliating was an offer from a record store in New Jersey to buy them for $.25-.75. I would almost rather give them away than reshelve them and on this board there would most likely be people who would really want them, so maybe even "recycling" could be done, and trades as well as sales, of course privately and via PMs so as not to burden the site managers in any way, and everyone should just pay the postage themselves on the items they obtain.

Mark Thomas

Subject to a few caveats, I have no problems with this personally but I'd like to hear other members' opinions, please, before I set up another board.

The caveats that occur immediately are straightforward enough:
1. Anything offered for sale must be a physical product (CD or LP), not commercial downloaded tracks or CD-Rs ripped from commercial recordings.
2. Only offers for sale are posted. All subsequent discussions are carried out by email or PM. Like the Downloads board all posts would therefore require moderator approval.
3. UC wouldn't in any way be held liable for misrepresentation and wouldn't act as an arbiter in case of dispute.

More may occur later, but in principle I have no problems with it.  Thanks for the suggestion of a contribution going to UC, Mike, but on two counts I'd gratefully decline. Firstly because UC should be kept out of any transaction and secondly that that apart from my time and Alan's (the value of which is inestimable, of course) the cost of UC is just the annual web hosting fee, which is a few pounds a year.

What do other people think?

thalbergmad

I think it is a wonderful idea. It would be even more interesting for me if we were to include scores. I expect a lot of us have piles of CD's, LP's & scores that is only gathering dust that someone else might really appreciate.

I have been "banned" from buying any more music until I have had a clearout, mainly because you can no longer see the carpet in my bedroom. I have got much to shift apart from me Showaddywaddy LP's which are simply too precious.

Thal

Mark Thomas

I see no problem with scores, as long as they are originals or have passed int9 the Public Domain.

Jonathan

I think this is a great idea.  There is so much out there that is difficult to get hold of and with people asking frankly ridiculous amounts on Amazon, this would really help those of us who aren't lottery winners!  :)

TerraEpon

I would enjoy this as well. Paypal takes less of a cut than Amazon and many CDs can sit in my selling account for years unsold even at a low price.

Mark Thomas

'tis done. See The Trading Post...

TerraEpon

You mention 'copies are not permitted' but what about official ones, such as ArchivCds?

Mark Thomas

No problem with them as they are sanctioned by the original copyright holder. Obviously I was referring to home-made CD-R rips of commercial recordings.

jani

Ok, this is old posting, but did anyone set up this post already? I have also that same problem that there are recordings and scores that I don't need anymore but I wouldn't want to throw away. And I'm also looking for new repertoire to explore.

Mark Thomas

Jani, it was set up and then abandoned after a few months as it wasn't really used and I wanted to simplify Unsung Composers.

Christopher

Quote from: Bill Hayden on Monday 04 November 2013, 12:53
My lps melodiya:

http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=141107499921#ht_146wt_1707

Hello Bill - if on here or on Ebay you could give more details about the LPs you might have some takers.  For example, I would be very interested to know which Tikotsky pieces you have.  Do you have any music by Zolotarev?  Or other Unsung Russian composers born before 1900?