News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Hermann Zilcher

Started by Alan Howe, Saturday 04 February 2012, 19:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

petershott@btinternet.com

Struth, Alan, that's certainly sticking the neck out! What's the evidence? After all, you're always insisting (absolutely rightly in my belief) that all claims made within the forum should be evidence-based.

Alan Howe

Well, just listen to the excerpts...
...and I did say 'may be'...

Alan Howe

...and the objective was actually to stimulate discussion of Zilcher (hence the title of the thread is the composer, not just these particular Lieder).

petershott@btinternet.com

I wasn't being rude, Alan! After all, your suggestion was....well it almost had something quite audacious about it!

I hope the stimulation works! Among the 1000 or so hopes that lurk within my breast is to one day get my hands on the Zilcher piano quintet. I've had people telling me it is astonishingly good, and cor blimey, almost up there with a rather well known pf quintet in F minor and composed in 1864.

That's some claim! And only one way to test the truth of the claim. Trouble is: given what I believe is its sole recording, the Amazon wide boys want a heck of a lot of loot for it.

Oooh, wouldn't the world really be a fun place if we ran a record company (with, of course, an unlimited budget)!

jerfilm

I have his Piano Concerto in b on an old cassette which as I recall, was a pleasant listen.

Jerry

mikehopf

Alan's eulogy to Zilcher inspired me to listen to the old Nazi's chamber music again.

His Piano Trio Op.56 is most enjoyable with its Variations on a Welsh Tune ( The Ash Grove).

I also have his Piano Quintet, Piano Concerto and Violin Concerto No.2 if anyone is interested.

You can download his 4 Songs and some works for accordeon (!) from Concertzender... just Zoek ( Search): Zilcher.

Rainolf

Zilcher's Piano Concerto has found its way to Youtube. A enjoyable piece, like the other music I have heard by him so far (Piano Trio and Piano Quintet):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ig0y46r5oE

jerfilm

Any or all of those works would be appreciated. 

Jerry

Alan Howe

If you have the time, Mike...

Peter1953

This topic made me listen again to Zilcher's Trio for Clarinet, Cello and Piano in A minor, op. 90. Most enjoyable music, with hints of Brahms (it's on the CD 'In the Shadow of Brahms Vol. 2') but it has also some impressionistic moments, so to speak. The excellent booklet notes by Matthias Wiegandt learns that Zilcher composed 114 works with opus number and quite a lot without titles or opus number. I'm wondering how his 5 symphonies sound like.
Yes, Zilcher is a hidden composer who deserves our attention.

Rainolf

Quote from: Peter1953 on Sunday 05 February 2012, 10:56
I'm wondering how his 5 symphonies sound like.

His 3rd doesn't sound like symphonies regulary do, because it's an original composition for two pianos.

A CD with the 5th and other works could be ordered by the Tonkünstlerverband Bayern (No. 38 in the list):

http://www.dtkvbayern.de/monographienreihe/71-verzeichnis-der-tondokumente.html

mikehopf

Sorry, Alan, but the Zilcher Trio & Quintet are on a commercial CD ( Largo Records).

Try www.amazon.de to order.

However, I have found a tape ( originally from Mike Herman) which features his Violin Concerto No.2.
The same tape has a Violin Concerto by Karl Klinger ( 1907) ... any interest?

I'll keep on looking for the Piano Concerto... just another 20,000 tapes to look through....

mikehopf

That should read: Karl KLINGLER  ... but what the "L"!

JimL

Yes and yes.  Oh, and yes.  In case I forgot to approve something else.