Johannes Bernardus van Bree (1801-1857)

Started by Peter1953, Wednesday 08 February 2012, 15:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter1953

In the Netherlands Johannes van Bree is, as a composer, well-known only for his Allegro for Four String Quartets, a lovely piece which is broadcast frequently.
The other work I know is his Scene for Horn and Orchestra. But he also composed symphonies and overtures. And how about the first movement of his Violin Concerto in D minor? To get an impression listen to this.
Another hidden treasure, I think, which deserves a release on a CD, full of passion performed by one of Holland's very fine violinists like Janine Jansen, Liza Ferschtman or Simone Lamsma.

Christo

Sounds interesting. Do you know more about the details of the performance of the Violin Concerto in D minor on Youtube?

Alan Howe

Very nice music indeed, Peter, I agree. There is some lovely melodic writing as the first movement progresses - and plenty of vigorous passages too. This is a work that Hyperion could look at, perhaps.

JimL

I've heard the whole thing.  This is a short work, like the Vieuxtemps or Wieniawski VC 2, the first movement you heard is all there is of it.  After the tutti there is a slow movement and finale.  Now if there is a more substantial Dutch, or maybe Belgian VC to pair it with...

Peter1953

I did some research on the internet and found the following information.
Van Bree's Violin Concerto in D minor (premiered in 1847) was rediscovered in a safe containing music by old composers in Amsterdam in 2006 by the Dutch conductor Tjalling Wijnstra. The score still existed, but had to be prepared for other instruments.
The first performance took place in the province of Fryslân on 16 June 2006 by the Nieuw Philharmonisch Orkest (New Philharmonic Orchestra) under the baton of Tjalling Wijnstra. I haven't found information who played the solo violin. Two other performances were held on 18 June 2006 at Leeuwarden and 24 June 2006 at the music centre Felix Meritis of Amsterdam.
(source: Daily Newspaper Trouw of 7 June 2006).

The concerto has 3 movements: 1. Allegro moderato, 2. Andante, 3. Rondo Allegretto

Of the life recording the third movement is also available, listen here.