Blaz Arnic

Started by malito, Thursday 09 February 2012, 02:28

Previous topic - Next topic

malito

Blaz Arnic of the 5th symphony ("Partikularna") where have you been all my music collecting life!  My G**, what a symphony!  I almost did not record it because of the title but it is a 69 minute long masterpiece. Does ANYONE know anything about the movement tempi?  what the title means? How I can get more of his music????  WOW!!!!  Malito

Latvian

QuoteBlaz Arnic of the 5th symphony ("Partikularna") where have you been all my music collecting life!  My God, what a symphony!  I almost did not record it because of the title but it is a 69 minute long masterpiece. Does ANYONE know anything about the movement tempi?  what the title means? How I can get more of his music?  WOW!!!!  Malito

from the Slovenian Music Downloads folder:

The Wild Chase [sometimes also translated as The Tempest; in Slovenian Divja jaga] (symphonic poem, 1958-65)
Slovenian Radio & TV Symphony Orchestra
Lovrenc Arnic, conductor [live performance, Dec. 12, 1991]

http://www.mediafire.com/?sj3jtlg8lg63k

Dundonnell

Quote from: malito on Thursday 09 February 2012, 02:28
Blaz Arnic of the 5th symphony ("Partikularna") where have you been all my music collecting life!  My God, what a symphony!  I almost did not record it because of the title but it is a 69 minute long masterpiece. Does ANYONE know anything about the movement tempi?  what the title means? How I can get more of his music????  WOW!!!!  Malito

I don't know if I would quite go as far as calling it a masterpiece ;D but of the Eastern European and Balkan symphonies I have downloaded from this site and actually found the time to listen to the Arnic does stand out as one of the much better examples. Apparently he wrote nine symphonies and I would certainly join you in wishing that one could here more. The choral Symphony No.3 "Duma" have, apparently, and the Symphony No.8 "On Native Soil" been recorded.

JimL

On the recommendation of the aforementioned post I downloaded it last night.  It was late, and my system was slow.  Of the 3 works recorded at that concert, I only unzipped the symphony.  Judging from the tiny fragment I was able to hear before illness (I'm somewhat under the weather) and fatigue took their toll, I'm going to be spending over an hour on the whole thing today.  The assessment above may not be too exaggerated.  Hey, any symphony that starts out with bells can't be too bad!

Latvian

I agree with Colin, and perhaps lean a bit closer to your assessment, malito. I listened to the entire work a couple of weeks ago with rapt attention and interest, and thought it was magnificent. My mind tends to wander when auditioning an unknown work of that length, but not here.

My observation at the time was that while the work could perhaps have been a bit more concise, after having earlier heard the equally sprawling 3rd Symphony of Arnic I felt that here was a composer who was exceptionally skilled at manipulating huge, drawn-out climaxes and episodes. Truly, a composer who thought symphonically and was able to sustain the "long line." It reminded me somewhat of the uncut version of Gliere's 3rd Symphony. Which is not to suggest that someone take the Stokowski approach and "trim" the Arnic symphonies -- I think Arnic's symphonies are a somewhat different situation, but still structurally suggestive of parts of Gliere's 3rd.

Anyway, I hope to hear more Arnic symphonies. Perhaps future Slovenian Radio broadcasts?

JimL

We need a man (or woman) on the inside.  Anybody got any music-loving Slovenian friends?  8)

fr8nks

Quote from: JimL on Thursday 09 February 2012, 16:14
We need a man (or woman) on the inside.  Anybody got any music-loving Slovenian friends?  8)
Sicmu loves Slovenian music and Ser Amantio di Nicolao has visited there. Of course both are members.

Ser Amantio di Nicolao

Quote from: JimL on Thursday 09 February 2012, 16:14

The story of how I visited the CD store in downtown Ljubljana is a tale in and of itself.  I did manage to emerge with a disc of Arnic, though.  Offhand I don't remember what's on it - I'll check when I get home.

I'm about due for a re-listen, come to that.  I don't really remember it very well.

malito

I'm crossing my fingers that it is a symphony that you have tucked away...please upload whatever it is!Malito

Ser Amantio di Nicolao

Quote from: malito on Friday 10 February 2012, 01:49
I'm crossing my fingers that it is a symphony that you have tucked away...please upload whatever it is!Malito

Not a symphony, sorry - it's three orchestral works: Pesem planen, Godzovi pojejo, and Zapeljivec ("Song of Highlands", "The Forests Sing", and "Seducer", from 1940, 1945, and 1937 respectively.)

And I'm afraid that because it's a CD, I won't be able to upload it for the board due to copyright concerns.

Latvian

I've got a couple more Arnic works I can upload, from BBC broadcasts of live performances provided by Slovenian Radio. Will try to do so before too long!

malito

THANK YOU!!!!!!  I have really become an Arnic fan.  I would love to hear what you have!  Malito

Tartini

I have also become dependent on Blaz Arnic. It is a marvellous symphony (the 5th). Does anyone know how to find this cd with his eighth symphony? Or you have to cycle to Ljubljana and buy it.

eschiss1

There's something on this website that I think says something about it? and  his 9 symphonies in general (another page on the site lists the symphonies, nicknames, dates)...

gabriel

For the enthusiasts of Blaž Arnič´s Symphony 5:

Symphony № 5 "Partikularna", Op.22 (1941) 69:29
I. Allegro moderato 24.41
II. Andante 22.07
III. Allegro 22.42

Enjoy it!