News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Swiss Piano Quintets

Started by mbhaub, Sunday 08 November 2009, 01:38

Previous topic - Next topic

mbhaub

Divox: CDX 20506

This has been one of the most totally engaging, enjoyable, and delightful disks I've picked up in quite some time. The contents:

Raff: Grand Quintet in A minor op. 107
Raff: Phantasie in g minor op. 20/b
Goetz: Quintet in C minor op. 16

The Raff Phantasie is superb. There's an astonishing passage beginning at 17:09 that is just fantastic. Must be a real finger buster, too. The piece ends in a upward rush that's exhilirating. The only thing I've ever heard to compare it to is the closing passage of Franz Schmidt's Quintet in G Major. The Raff Grand Quintet is also just brilliant. I like this version better than one on MDG from several years back.

I've said some bad things about Raff's symphonies in the past, but I now realize that, like Shostakovich, the composer's best work isn't the large symphonies, but the great chamber music.

The Goetz is really fine, too. Much more serious and somewhat less inventive. Raff sure knew how to write for small ensembles.

The recorded sound is fine. This is one of the best Raff disks I've ever picked up. Now I want a boxed set of all of Raff's chamber music!

I almost forget...I was reading the booklet. And boy, the write was sure a Raff supporter! The notes were very clearly written (CPO, take notice), they were quite informative without being pedantic. When I got to the end and saw the author's name, I shouldn't have been surprised: Avrohom Leichtling.

Mark Thomas

Martin's views echo mine. I reviewed the CD on the Raff site here, but I won't repeat myself now.

The good news is that earlier this year Il Trittico recorded the two Piano Quartets of Raff and, if anything, their performances surpass even those on the Piano Quintet CD. Avrohom Leichtling, of whose notes Martin was so rightly complemnetary, says of the recording "The performance is an absolute knock-out and ought (must) win some kind of award for the most spectacular chamber music recording of the year. To say "well done" hardly does justice to the expression or the act so described." Quite.

Divox plan to have this on the shelves in the first quarter of 2010 and it is a must buy.

Finally, we do tend to concentrate here on orchestral music, but IMHO Martin has hit the nil on the head when he says that the very best of Raff is his chamber music. Or, at least I'd modify that by saying that he is at his consistent best in his chamber music which includes a piano: the string of Piano Quintet, two Piano Quartets, four Piano Trios, five Violin Sonatas and the Cello Sonata represents a catalogue of tremendously high, consistent quality.

Peter1953

After reading Martin's post I've listened to this wonderful CD again. I've nothing to add to what Martin and Mark said, but like to say that especially the 4th movement of the Grand Quintuor is one of the most captivating chamber music I know of. What a gorgeous piece of music this is, so full of brilliance. If you are in some kind of a sad mood, just listen to this very positive music, and you feel as reborn...This is music that can make one feel happy. It's Raff at his best. And you can hear that the Ensemble Il Trittico performs it with a lot of fun.

febnyc

Encouraged by the comments about this CD, I searched for it on the internet.  Could find only one copy available, at Amazon, from Switzerland.  Also JPC (cpo) lists it.

However, I decided to check my shelves and lo! there they were - the Raff Piano Quintet on MD&G by Ensemble Villa Musica, and the Goetz Op.16 on ASV, by the Pro Arte Quartet/Marrion. 

I haven't listened to these in some time - I sure will do so today, on a beautiful Indian summer's afternoon in the Northeast US.

Mark Thomas

Not wanting to spoil your enjoyment of the Raff Piano Quintet, febnyc, but the Il Trittico performance for Divox is in a totally different league to Ensemble Villa Musica's on MDG. Do hunt down the Divox CD and get it, you'll be amazed at the difference, plus you get the delicious Fantasie for Piano Quintet, which is another delight.

mbhaub

febnyc: Try www.recordsinternational.com

He deals with new releases of music that is not mainstream. CDs are also available much earlier than you can get them from Amazon and other outlets. Plus, it's fast. For fans of obscure music in the US, there's no better place to go than Records International.

febnyc

Thanks, gents for your comments and suggestions.

I have been purchasing from Records International for perhaps 15 years - going back through its various incarnations with different owners.

And, as for different versions - I'm quite satisfied with Villa Musica.  There's so much music to hear and to purchase and therefore I generally am not one for multiple recordings of the same work, especially where my existing one is acceptable.  So, no "spoiling" is possible!   8)