News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Joaquin Turina Piano Music

Started by febnyc, Friday 10 February 2012, 21:35

Previous topic - Next topic

febnyc

Naxos has recorded, so far, six CDs of the piano music of Joaquin Turina (1882-1949).  I have the first three discs and have enjoyed them quite a bit.  All the works contain large doses of the sounds of Spain and, especially, of Turina's own city of Seville.

Of the three, the second volume is, for me, the most attractive, containing some more substantial works - a gorgeous Sonata Romantica and a fascinating work called Concierto Sin Orquesta.

The first installment covers a batch of dances - miniatures with great appeal.  And the third disc is entitled Mujeres de Sevilla - again mostly brief sketches but brilliantly realized.

Turina's piano works are enchanting and, I think, can be placed alongside those of Albéniz as evocations of Spain and Spanish themes.

Has anyone else been following this Naxos series?

alberto

I share appreciation for Turina piano music and for the composer in general. I think Naxos survey of piano music has reached volume seven (I have not yet all, having already recordings by Martin Jones and Estéban Sanchez -the latter truly great).
On the occasion I would remind which is IMHO Turina masterwork : Canto a Sevilla, a substantial suite for soprano and orchestra (also a version with piano exists) lasting about 40 minutes.
I own on Cd a truly hystorical version on Cd EMi with de los Angeles, Fistoulari and Philharmonia (1954, 1991 CD release).
Worthy also an Arte Nova with Ana Rodrigo , Adrian Leaper and Gran Canaria Orch (1996 sound).
A fine version with Lorengar, Lopez-Cobos and Suisse Romande (end of Lp era, later released on Cd) unfortunately omitted the purely orchestral movements.
Existed, on a Lp, a version with piano with no less than Caballè and Weissenberg: released on Cd in short fragments. 

nigelkeay

There's a recording of Turina's Rapsodia Sinfonica for piano & string orchestra on the discography web page of the pianist Florencia Raitzin. From details I've just discovered it seems that this recording came from an LP recording. On checking the Musical Heritage site I found nothing on any of the musicians mentioned.