Glière Symphony No.3 'Ilya Murometz'

Started by mbhaub, Sunday 12 February 2012, 00:08

Previous topic - Next topic

mbhaub

Well here's good news for those of us who can't get enough of Ilya Murometz.  May 3/4 in 2013 the Buffalo Philharmonic will be doing it in Carnegie Hall. A great orchestra, a great hall, and Joann Falletta at the podium. Doesn't get much better than that. Would it be asking too much for a new Naxos recording to be made?

http://www.bpo.org/2012-2013-season/2012-2013-classics.php

Amphissa

I would love to hear it live. Not sure if I can make the trip to NY then, though.

I wonder if they will play it complete or with cuts.

I'm not really interested in a Naxos recording of this. I'd like to have an outstanding SACD recording of the uncut version, played by one of the great orchestras. The Farberman comes close, but his tempi drag a bit in some passages.

petershott@btinternet.com

If there was a Naxos recording then, yes, I'd probably buy it given these forces for I'm a bit of a sucker for the work. But then it is a work I think of as an 'occasional' symphony, something worth revisiting every 6-8 years and not more frequently.

And then being a curmudgeonly kind of fellow, I'd buy it with a growl of protest thinking of the other very good recordings already on the shelves (Downes and Botstein)........and the complete absence of any recording, good or not so good, of vast swathes of other symphonies or orchestral music.

Over the past few years Naxos have built up a formidable library in their, for example, American or Spanish series. Among both of them are some things to celebrate, and some about which I've promised not to be rude in public. But what about, for example, a Czech series, or a Scandinavian series? Just contemplate the riches that could contain, and of works that, given their quality, it is nothing short of scandalous that they have never been recorded.

mbhaub

Quote from: Amphissa on Sunday 12 February 2012, 09:31

I wonder if they will play it complete or with cuts.

I'm not really interested in a Naxos recording of this. I'd like to have an outstanding SACD recording of the uncut version, played by one of the great orchestras. The Farberman comes close, but his tempi drag a bit in some passages.

I wish they would advertise "complete" or not. Buffalo may not be as well known as Chicago, London, or Berlin, but it's one great orchestra that plays as well an anyone does. Yes, a great new SACD would also be good, but not necessary. Farberman sounds good, but the slow (cautious?) tempos and the unfortunate orchestral bloopers are most irritating. If a new SACD is warranted, I'd  like to hear Neeme Jarvi's take on the symphony.

Alan Howe

I'd get Botstein with the LSO. Spectacular!

TerraEpon

Quote from: Amphissa on Sunday 12 February 2012, 09:31
I'm not really interested in a Naxos recording of this. I'd like to have an outstanding SACD recording of the uncut version, played by one of the great orchestras. The Farberman comes close, but his tempi drag a bit in some passages

So the London Symphony Orchestra isn't one of "the great orchestras" now? The Botstein recording, on SACD and uncut as well, is EXPONETIALLY better than the droll meandering Farberman recording.

Amphissa

LSO plays well -- which is the only positive thing I can say about the Botstein recording. The audio is a muddy mess. I'm not sure what Telarc engineers were thinking, but it turned out dreadful. And Botstein .... I like Botstein. I've appreciated his work with the American Symphony Orchestra. But this is not one of his better efforts. Actually, his weird tempi are often totally without reason or justification -- certainly nothing like the tempi in the score. Taking a movement that, based on the score, should take 28-30 minutes, and performing it in 22 without cuts ..... wow!

Criticize Farberman all you wish, but his recording is the only one that actually adheres pretty closely to the score. Too slow? Probably. But Botstein's solution is no better than Stokowski's hatchet job.

So, I'm still waiting for a recording that has both the audio and the performance to take this work to the top. Besides, there is already a recording of Gliere 3 on Naxos and a big handful of other recordings to choose from. We don't really need more of those.

sdtom

I have a CD transfer from a Melodiya LP (MG33832) (1975) that I've found satisfying. It is Nathan Rakhlin conducting the Large Orchestra Moscow Radio and Television. Yes I have to endure pops and clicks but wasn't this work written for a larger than normal symphony size?
Tom :)

TerraEpon

Quote from: sdtom on Monday 13 February 2012, 16:56
wasn't this work written for a larger than normal symphony size?

4, 4, 4, 4, - 8, 4, 4, 1 - timpani, percussions, bells, celesta, 2 harps, strings

mbhaub

Quote from: Amphissa on Monday 13 February 2012, 02:20
...I'm still waiting for a recording that has both the audio and the performance to take this work to the top. Besides, there is already a recording of Gliere 3 on Naxos and a big handful of other recordings to choose from. We don't really need more of those.

There's a wonderful recording on Pro Arte with Yoav Talmi conducting the San Diego symphony. Great sound (matrix surround sound), well conducted, but alas, with cuts. Still, for a cut version, it's probably the best out there until Sony releases the Ormandy recording he made for RCA. (There is a Japanese release.) The Naxos is just barely adequate -- and Naxos has pretty much re-recorded all their original recordings, usually (not always) for the better. They could even do it Blu Ray like the new Gershwin disk they have out.

izdawiz

If Naxos records it, I'd be interested too. I have the Melodiya LP as well on 2 lp's I believe? haven't listen to in in a good 2 years, will relisten to it this week.. his String Sextet on the MDG@ lable accompanied by a string Octet is also Very beautiful   

by the way has anybody heard the 1st and/or 2nd symphony and can give their opinion about these which one might be more memorable and/or better?

TerraEpon

I can't imagine anyone not enjoying the sheer emotional power of the second.

But yet, I'm sure there are people who do. Probably stuff idiots who think melody is a bane.

alberto

The first sounds a worthy early symphony by a talented youth (I know only the Naxos recording).
The second I would rate a very fine symphony (here I have got the Naxos recording and, later, the better Delos- Zdenek Macal and New Jersey Symphony).

sdtom

Quote from: izdawiz on Tuesday 14 February 2012, 05:04
If Naxos records it, I'd be interested too. I have the Melodiya LP as well on 2 lp's I believe? haven't listen to in in a good 2 years, will relisten to it this week.. his String Sextet on the MDG@ lable accompanied by a string Octet is also Very beautiful   

by the way has anybody heard the 1st and/or 2nd symphony and can give their opinion about these which one might be more memorable and/or better?

I'll be very interested as to your opinion of his third and yes it is 2 LP's with a bit of an oddity if you can pick it up what I'm talking about. I recently reviewed his second symphony http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2011/07/05/symphony-no-2-in-c-minor-op-25red-poppy-ballet-suite-op-70gliere/ which I can heartily recommend to all. As far as the first symphony is concerned I do own the Chandos/Downes 1993 recording. It is a step above the 1985 Naxos recording. In fact I've got the complete set he recorded for Chandos. It is a brighter vibrant reading of a pretty darn good first effort for Gliere.

Alan Howe

Actually, I agree. Botstein is rather quick (though I find it exciting) - and Faberman is an essential listen.