Glière Symphony No.3 'Ilya Murometz'

Started by mbhaub, Sunday 12 February 2012, 00:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Oh just go ahead and get both 1 & 2! They're both hugely enjoyable late-Romantic pieces.

Amphissa

I have every recording of the 3rd, including all the ones on LP, with the exception of the LP recording of Gliere himself conducting. Of those, I tend to listen to the Rakhlin most often (and my LP is pristine, so no pops and clicks), but when I feel like I want a luxuriant wallow, I listen to the Farber. I'd love to hear Gliere's own recording of this.

I do have Gliere's own recordings of the 1st and 2nd on LP. The audio is not very good and the orchestral playing spotty, but it is good enough for me. It has been so long since I've listened to other recordings of those two symphonies that I really don't remember what they are like. I'll try to pull them out for a listen sometime soon.

sdtom

Quote from: Amphissa on Tuesday 14 February 2012, 23:37

I have every recording of the 3rd, including all the ones on LP, with the exception of the LP recording of Gliere himself conducting. Of those, I tend to listen to the Rakhlin most often (and my LP is pristine, so no pops and clicks), but when I feel like I want a luxuriant wallow, I listen to the Farber. I'd love to hear Gliere's own recording of this.

I do have Gliere's own recordings of the 1st and 2nd on LP. The audio is not very good and the orchestral playing spotty, but it is good enough for me. It has been so long since I've listened to other recordings of those two symphonies that I really don't remember what they are like. I'll try to pull them out for a listen sometime soon.

There is something about the Rakhlin that is captivating. As far as 1 and two are concerned I would vote for the Downes/Chandos for the first and the Delos recording for the second.
Tom

izdawiz

Thanks Folks, for the great advise !! and yes Alan I'll just get  both1&2, what the heck!  ;D

vandermolen

Amazingly I have heard this live and complete in London (Barbican Hall) in 2002. I think that it was the first performance of the complete work for about 80 years in the UK. The conductor was the indefatigable Martyn Brabbins (of, more recent, Havergal Brian 'Gothic Smphony' fame) who, if I remember correctly, stood in for the indisposed Neeme Jarvi. It was a terrific performance and a wonderful experience to hear it live.

As for recordings, Rakhlin and Dowes are my favourite versions of the complete work - although I grew to love the work through Ormandy's old LP.

Gerhard Griesel

I am new to Gliere and the second to third listening session is forthcoming. After ordering the Downes/Chandos Symphony 3, I quickly went for Symphonies 1 & 2, and also Orchestral Works. I am keen to know how you rate Downes, as I am unable to compare at this stage. E.g. is the Downes version cut?

Interesting, two different suppliers each sent me the wrong CD (because the covers look so similar!) Both allowed me to keep the wrong ones, so I now have two for presents.

JimL

A smidge off-topic, but if you're new to Gliere, don't miss the Harp Concerto!

Christopher

Quote from: JimL on Friday 17 February 2012, 21:00
A smidge off-topic, but if you're new to Gliere, don't miss the Harp Concerto!

Ditto the Concerto for Coloratura Soprano!

mbhaub

And the ballet The Red Poppy!

Downes is 100% complete. Rahklin takes a couple of small cuts as I recall from following the score years ago. He also tampers with the orchestration somewhat.

Amphissa

I'm uploading a live concert recording from 2007. Sounds uncut and on tempo to me. A fine performance.

X. Trapnel

The Rakhlin is also my favorite, especially in the monumental finale. Does anybody know whether the cd on Russian Disc is the same performance as the Melodiya lp?

TerraEpon

Quote from: Amphissa on Saturday 18 February 2012, 04:07

I'm uploading a live concert recording from 2007. Sounds uncut and on tempo to me. A fine performance.

Yummy.

Also, the Horn Concerto and the ballet suite from Taras Bulba (on a 90s ASV disc) are great stuff as well.

Amphissa

I have concert broadcast recordings of the horn concerto, harp concerto, and concerto for soprano coloratura. Would anyone be interested in those for download?

JimL

Amphissa