Glière Symphony No.3 'Ilya Murometz'

Started by mbhaub, Sunday 12 February 2012, 00:08

Previous topic - Next topic

TerraEpon

....and we may have a new winner. That uploaded recording is really great (not too surprising considering the source)

sdtom

I have always valued the opinion of this forum and was wondering which Gliere recording should I send to someone. Is there one that is considered a step above albeit a small one.
Tom

mbhaub

Well, if a complete version is called for, Downes on Chandos probably the best overall as of now. For sound, playing, conducting it seems to have it all. But...

Some people are put off by the length of the whole thing, and there is (was) a cut version on Pro Art with Yoav Talmi conducting the San Diego Symphony that is thrilling, extremely well recorded and for many listeners it's all the Ilya they need. If you can find it, it's well worth looking for.

Alan Howe

The fabulously played Botstein/LSO version on Telarc has its supporters, although it's almost certainly too quick. Downes (Chandos) is probably the safest all-round bet and then there is the older Farberman recording (much more expansive and on 2 CDs c/w the Cello Concerto).

TerraEpon

Alternative to the Downes, the Brostien on Telarc is the only other real choice, though apparently the sound isn't as good as it should be on the SACD layer (I think it sounds fine on the CD layer).

I find the Farberman recording utterly hidious.

sdtom

I do have the Downes on Chandos. I'll give this thread another day or so and then decide. As always I'm most appreciative.
Tom

Gauk

I'd vote for Downes. I do have an old LP of Stokowski's performance; heavily cut as you might imagine.

theqbar

try Rakhlin and the USSR Tv-Radio Symphony Orchestra. (Old lp, Melodiya-CBS i think)

Gareth Vaughan

I think (I may be wrong here) that Ormandy made a recording - cut, but not so massively as the Stokowski version.

sdtom

Quote from: theqbar on Wednesday 18 December 2013, 15:55
try Rakhlin and the USSR Tv-Radio Symphony Orchestra. (Old lp, Melodiya-CBS i think)

I have a transfer of this one but it is a bit scratchy. The sound is a bit on the shrilly side also but the performance is quite good.
Tom

Mark Thomas

I still have the Ormandy/Philadelphia Orchestra recording on an RCA LP. It was my first exposure to Ilya Murametz, which gets a typically lush, technicolor performance. It is, a Gareth says, heavily cut and lasts fractionally under an hour. I don't think that it is available on CD.

Alan Howe

theqbar

<<I have a transfer of this one but it is a bit scratchy. The sound is a bit on the shrilly side also but the performance is quite good.Tom>>

I don't have it on cd, so i don't know about the sound, but the performance is my favourite, especially the scherzo is magic. I also have an old DG lp with Ferenc Fricsay conducting the RIAS Berlin orchestra, but with cuts, it lasts almost an hour.

mbhaub

For something really special, there's the older, mono, but utterly complete Ilya from Scherchen. Shamefully not re-released on cd by whoever owns the Westminster catalog, but you can get it here:

www.Rediscovery.us