Israeli Composer Discussion

Started by jowcol, Monday 13 February 2012, 14:26

Previous topic - Next topic

jowcol

Paul Ben-Haim, although born in Germany, would need to be considered Israeli, if you look at his bio from wikipedia below.

I've posted his Cello Concerto in the downloads section.

Paul Ben-Haim (or Paul Ben-Chaim, Hebrew: פאול בן חיים‎) (July 5, 1897 – January 14, 1984) was an Israeli composer. Born Paul Frankenburger in Munich, Germany, he studied composition with Friedrich Klose and he was assistant conductor to Bruno Walter and Hans Knappertsbusch from 1920 to 1924. He served as conductor at Augsburg from 1924 to 1931, and afterwards devoted himself to teaching and composition, including teaching at the Shulamit Conservatory.

Ben-Haim emigrated to the then British Mandate of Palestine in 1933 and lived in Judea, in an area to the east of Jerusalem. He Hebraized his name, becoming an Israeli citizen upon that nation's independence in 1948. He composed chamber music, works for choir, orchestra and solo instruments, and songs. He championed a specifically Jewish national music: his own compositions are in a late Romantic vein with Middle Eastern overtones, somewhat similar to Ernest Bloch.

His notable students include Eliahu Inbal, Henri Lazarof, Ben-Zion Orgad, Ami Maayani, Shulamit Ran, Rami Bar-Niv, Avraham Sternklar and Noam Sheriff.

Christopher

Please do indicate if any of the Israeli composers are of Russian / former-Soviet descent (if you can!) - I suspect they would be more than acceptable, not to mention very interesting, to those like me who are fascinated by music from this part of the world!

jowcol

Quote from: Christopher on Tuesday 14 February 2012, 11:30
Please do indicate if any of the Israeli composers are of Russian / former-Soviet descent (if you can!) - I suspect they would be more than acceptable, not to mention very interesting, to those like me who are fascinated by music from this part pf the world!

At the moment we only have one, and he is originally of German descent (see above) , but I try to get a little information about every composer I post.

Dundonnell

Quote from: jowcol on Tuesday 14 February 2012, 14:08
Quote from: Christopher on Tuesday 14 February 2012, 11:30
Please do indicate if any of the Israeli composers are of Russian / former-Soviet descent (if you can!) - I suspect they would be more than acceptable, not to mention very interesting, to those like me who are fascinated by music from this part pf the world!

At the moment we only have one, and he is originally of German descent (see above) , but I try to get a little information about every composer I post.

No...we actually have another: Josef Tal(1910-2008). Tal was born near Poznan in what was then Germany, studied in Berlin and emigrated to Israel in 1934. I posted his Symphony No.2 in a thread dedicated to him by name. I would be perfectly happy to see that now transferred to this thread.

Jacky

There is a composer called Bardanashvilli-from Georgia-still active,Jachim Stukacewsky from Ukraine (1891-1982),Eden Partos from Hungary (1907-1977),Sergiu Natra from Romania and Vladimir Scolnic from Ukraina-Romania (both still active),and Vardina Shlonsky(1905-1990) like Stukachewsky from Poltava Region.

britishcomposer

I have uploaded the Sinfonietta by Mordecai Seter (1916-94).

This is not easy-listening but perhaps more accessible than the (later) symphonies by Josef Tal - which I admire very much!
It's the only piece by Seter which I know and so it is difficult to classify his style in general.
Born almost a generation after Ben-Haim I don't think he was as much influenced by middle eastern folklore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mordechai_Seter

fr8nks

I have music in my collection by the following Israeli composers:

Tsippi Fleisher
Andre Hajdu
Abraham Kaplan
Mark Kopytman (Russian-Israeli)
Marc Lavry  (Latvian-Israeli)
Ami Maayani
Ben Zion Orgad
Shulamit Ran  (Israeli-American)
Moshe Rasiuk
Vladimir Rubashevsky  (Russian-Israeli)
Max Stern
Gideon Lewensohn

Jacky

Highly appreciated a share of Lavry,Hajdu,Fleischer,Ran and Orgad.Toda.

fr8nks

Quote from: Jacky on Saturday 31 March 2012, 17:45
Highly appreciated a share of Lavry,Hajdu,Fleischer,Ran and Orgad.Toda.

Sorry, Jacky, but everone you requested are on commercial CDs.

Jacky

No problem.
I am just listening the Moti Seter Sinfonietta, and it's fascinating for me, as it epitomizes the Israeli musical school from the "founders" generations.The first part,it's an highly expressionistic music-Schonbergian in mood only.The second movement is more Middle eastern folckloristic with its assymetric lines.The third part is an Mitteleuropa melopee, something like Bartok, while the last movement reminds me of Stravinsky-Hindemith angular design with an again Bartok like nocturne music in the middle.