News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

British Music threads

Started by Dundonnell, Saturday 18 February 2012, 02:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

There are two separate threads in the Downloads Discussion section: one on 'British Music Broadcasts' and one on 'British Music'. These, I would suggest, should be merged.

Additionally in the Downloads Discussion section there is now a thread on 'Irish Music'.

In the Downloads Section there is the British Music Catalogue and Archive which is locked, a British Music thread and an Irish Music thread.  That seems to be an appropriate arrangement although people need to appreciate that the Catalogue and Archive contains both British and Irish music(the word 'British' being used in an historical and geographical sense rather than in a current political sense ;D)

I hope this is helpful ???

semloh

Yes, I agree that having a single thread for discussing British music downloads is a good idea.  I've found my self hopping about a lot lately, trying to match up the comments and the downloads.  ;D

I realise that some of the Irish downloads pre-date the Republic, or overlap - Stanford, for example - and where these are located is perhaps a matter of personal preference, but others should go in the Irish Music thread, and be discussed in the corresponding Irish thread, which I've just started.

Do our Administrators agree?  :) :)

Mark Thomas

Sorry for the tardy response. This is really my field rather than Alan's and I'm on holiday at the moment, struggling with 11 time zone's worth of jet lag. There is absolutely no technical difficulty in merging the two British threads in Downloads Discusion; it's the work of an instant. The problem, though, is that the result will be in time order and so replies to a post made in one of the original threads will be out of sequence and interrupted by material from the other thread. That can't be avoided. Another idea might be simply to lock one of the two threads and refer any posters to the other, still open, one. That would have the benefit of preserving the discussion in each thread, whilst channelling all new discussion into just one thread.

That said, I don't mind either solution and do agree that two threads is silly. Just tell me if you want a merger or my suggestion and, if the later, which thread should be locked.

albion

FWIW, I would advocate simply merging the two threads under the concise title British Music.

:)

semloh

Quote from: Albion on Sunday 19 February 2012, 10:23
FWIW, I would advocate simply merging the two threads under the concise title British Music.

However, I take Mark's point about the fact that simply merging the two discussion threads would mean losing the link to the appropriate download thread and create problems of sequencing. Personally, I'd go with the second suggestion, of locking the older, larger thread and keeping only the newer one active.

Dundonnell

John has already renamed the Archive as 'British and Irish Music' which takes care of that point :)

As for merging the two Discussion threads(which is what I originally suggested) or, alternatively, locking one......I see the advantages of both approaches and have no strong views either way, I must admit ;D

Jimfin

Yes, two threads would be silly and hard to distinguish, plus, should Scotland vote for independence would we need a third thread?

semloh

Quote from: Jimfin on Monday 20 February 2012, 00:40
........ should Scotland vote for independence would we need a third thread?

Definitely, Jim, but only for music written after the declaration came into effect.... so a few years to wait, I think!  ;D

Mark Thomas

I'm going to be away from UC for a couple of days. By the time I return, can those of you who are concerned about this please agree on what you want me to: merge the BMB and British & Irish threads, lock one or the other etc., and then I'll do it. Cheers....

Dundonnell

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Monday 20 February 2012, 10:30
I'm going to be away from UC for a couple of days. By the time I return, can those of you who are concerned about this please agree on what you want me to: merge the BMB and British & Irish threads, lock one or the other etc., and then I'll do it. Cheers....

Well...I shall vote for merging the two threads and letting members who wish to reply to posts find the posts they are replying to ;D

Dundonnell

Yes, two threads would be silly and hard to distinguish, plus, should Scotland vote for independence would we need a third thread?

Oh I am sure that we can cross that bridge if we ever come to it............. ;D

(I speak as a Scot :)))

albion

Quote from: Dundonnell on Monday 20 February 2012, 14:52Well...I shall vote for merging the two threads and letting members who wish to reply to posts find the posts they are replying to ;D

Ditto - a little detective work never hurt anybody (the thrill of the chase and all that ...)

;)

Mark Thomas

OK, I've now merged the British Music Broadcasts thread in the Downloads Discussion board into the British Music thread but I've left the original topic titles in each post, so it should be easy to follow which reply refers to which post.

Dundonnell

Thank you very much for that, Mark :)

I am sure that it will remove confusion in the future :)

Christo

Not to mention Cornwall. Renaming the whole thing 'Music from the Isles' would be a safer bet.  ;)