News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Schubert's requiems

Started by Balapoel, Thursday 23 February 2012, 05:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Balapoel

Hmm, after not getting any response to the Respighi and Rimsky-Korsakov quartets question, I hesitate to put this one out there, but...

Two Schubert pieces are definitely unsung, though I suspect they would likely be impressive pieces, given my experience with his sacred music:

Requiem in c minor, D453 (1816), unfinished (24 pages)
German Requiem (Deutsche Trauermesse) in g minor for 4 voices with organ, D621 (1818)

Does anyone have any idea if either one has been recorded (commercial or otherwise)?

fr8nks

Quote from: Balapoel on Thursday 23 February 2012, 05:46
Hmm, after not getting any response to the Respighi and Rimsky-Korsakov quartets question, I hesitate to put this one out there, but...

Two Schubert pieces are definitely unsung, though I suspect they would likely be impressive pieces, given my experience with his sacred music:

German Requiem (Deutsche Trauermesse) in g minor for 4 voices with organ, D621 (1818)

Does anyone have any idea if either one has been recorded (commercial or otherwise)?

There are several CD recordings of these works. Telarc 80212; AG 435 486; EMI Classisc 72435 86011; EMI 72435 73367; Esoldun (France) 1003. These are just a few of the many recordings.

Balapoel

Thanks for responding. All but one of what you've listed are something else entirely. I think you may be misinterpreting "Deutsche Requiem, D 621" to be "Deutsche Mass, D872" - these are two different works.

Telarc 80212: Masses 2 and 6
EMI 72435 73367 Masses D452, 678, 950, tantum ergo, offertorium, etc.

Esoldun is the only one I had found earlier (which has Ferdinand Schubert's requiem, and the two pieces mentioned here). However, I can't find this one for sale. The one website I did find them on had "CD not yet for sale" on the page (Lala.com).

You mention there are several recordings, could you list one besides Esoldun, which seems nearly impossible to get?

Paul Barasi

Just a chance for me to say one of the greatest openings in all music is: Mass Eb major D950 - although seeing as this comment is so short, I feel the urge to add:

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all scores that wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Great tunes are not reached by the frost, From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A sound from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be music once forgotten; Schubert again shall be king.

JimL

Quote from: Paul Barasi on Thursday 23 February 2012, 17:59
Just a chance for me to say one of the greatest openings in all music is: Mass Eb major D950 - although seeing as this comment is so short, I feel the urge to add:

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all scores that wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Great tunes are not reached by the frost, From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A sound from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be music once forgotten; Schubert again shall be king.
Apologies to the Tolkien estate, lest royalties be owed.  ;D

Paul Barasi

Always suspected I was being plagiarised.

fr8nks

Quote from: Balapoel on Thursday 23 February 2012, 05:46

I think this LP might be what you are looking for. Erol FP9/7415. Try this link:

http://uclid.uc.edu/search~S39?/aschubert+franz/aschubert+franz/1,6,5788,B/exact&FF=aschubert+franz+1797+1828&651,5704

Balapoel

Quote from: fr8nks on Friday 24 February 2012, 06:08
I think this LP might be what you are looking for. Erol FP9/7415. Try this link:

http://uclid.uc.edu/search~S39?/aschubert+franz/aschubert+franz/1,6,5788,B/exact&FF=aschubert+franz+1797+1828&651,5704

Ah, that's the mistake I made. I did buy a CD I thought would have the requiem, but instead it was just Ferdinand Schubert's requiem (apparently much more common than Franz's, for some reason).

Your link lists the Esoldun CD requiem of Ferdinand Schubert (1794-1859). The listing for Franz Schubert is for a score only (Bärenreiter-Verlag, 2001). But again, thanks for checking.