Bernard Stevens(1916-83): A Catalogue of the Orchestral and Choral Music

Started by Dundonnell, Monday 27 February 2012, 03:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

BERNARD STEVENS: A CATALOGUE OF THE ORCHESTRAL AND CHORAL MUSIC

1943:   Violin Concerto, op.4: 32 minutes  + (Meridian cd)
1944:   Ricercar for string orchestra, op.6: 12 minutes
1945:   A Symphony of Liberation (Symphony No.1), op.7: 20 minutes  + (Meridian cd)
1946:   Eclogue for small orchestra, op.8: 8 minutes
1947:   Fugal Overture, op.9: 8 minutes
1948:   Sinfonietta for string orchestra, op.10: 14 minutes  *
1952:   Cello Concerto, op.18: 23 minutes  + (Meridian cd)
             Cantata "The Harvest of Peace" for soprano, baritone, narrator, chorus and string orchestra, op.19: 20 minutes
1955/1981: Piano Concerto, op. 26: 18 minutes + (Marco Polo cd)
1956/1968: Cantata "The Pilgrims of Hope" for soprano, baritone, chorus and orchestra, op. 27: 27 minutes
1957:   Dance Suite, op.28: 17 minutes  + (Marco Polo cd)
1960:   Prelude and Fugue for orchestra, op.31b: 6 minutes
1961:   Two Poetical Sketches for women's voices and strings, op.32
1964:   Symphony No.2, op.35: 31 minutes  *   +(Meridian cd)
             Variations for Orchestra, op.36: 19 minutes  + (Marco Polo cd)
1965:   Thanksgiving for chorus and string orchestra, op.37: 9 minutes
1968:   Choriamb for orchestra, op.41: 13 minutes
1969:   Cantata "Et Resurrexit" for contralto, tenor, chorus and orchestra,op. 43: 27 minutes
1971:   Motet "The Turning World" for baritone, chorus, orchestra and piano, op. 71: 7 minutes
1972:   Introduction, Variations and Fugue on a theme of Giles Faranby for orchestra, op. 47: 13 minutes  *

petershott@btinternet.com

Another immensely valuable list! Your dedication to the cause of under-represented composers is fast becoming legendary!

In my view Bernard Stevens, though obviously not a major figure of 20th century British music, is nonetheless a significant one and his music has given me much pleasure. But, alas, how much do we hear of him these days - let alone actually hear his compositions?

I appreciate your prejudice towards orchestral and choral music. I continue to wave the flag of chamber music. I often think the colours, textures, contrasts, and sounds of an orchestra let many a composer get away with it. Chamber music reveals, and acutely so, a composer's compositional abilities and capacity for extended musical argument and discourse. So my own prejudice to set besides yours is that too often the orchestra gets in the way of the music!

With that, I humbly request your valuable catalogue should be supplemented thus:

1936   Toccata and Fugue for Piano *
1937   Invention for Piano *
Op. 1   Sonata for Violin & Piano in One Movement (1940) **
Op. 2   Theme and Variations for Piano (1941) *
Op. 3   Piano Trio (1942) **
Op. 11  Theme and Variations for String Quartet (1949)  ***
Op. 13  Fantasia on 'The Irish Ho-Hoane' for Piano 4 Hands (1949) *
Op. 14  Five Inventions for Piano *
Op. 17  Ballad for Piano No. 1 (1951) *
1952    Barcarolle for Piano *
1952    Nine Piano Pieces *
Op. 22  Fantasia on 'Giles Farnaby's Dreame' for Piano (1953) *
Op. 23  Fantasia on a Theme of Dowland for Violin and Piano (1953) **
Op. 25  Piano Sonata *
Op. 29  Introduction and Allegro for Two Pianos (1957) *
1957    Aria for Piano *
Op. 30  Lyric Suite for String Trio (1958) ***
Op. 33  Two Dances for Piano Duet (1962) *
Op. 34  String Quartet No. 2 (1962)  ***
1963    A Birthday Song - Piano 4 Hands *
Op. 38  Trio for Horn, Violin and Piano (1966) **
Op. 42  Ballad for Piano No. 2 (1969) *
Op. 48a  Improvisation for Solo Violin  **
Op. 51  Nocturne on a note-row by Ronald Stevenson - Piano *
1980   Fuga alla sarabanda - Piano *
1981   Elegaic Fugue on the name 'Geraldine' - Piano *
Op. 55  Concertante for Two Pianos (1982) *

Discography
* Michael Finnissey (+ Isobel Beyer and Harvey Dagul) 'Works for Piano' - Dutton CDLX7160
** Kenneth Sillito [vn], Stephen Orton [vc], Timothy Brown [horn], Hamish Milne [pf], Academy of St Martin in the Fields Chamber Ensemble - Albany TROY572
*** Delme String Quartet - Unicorn-Kanchana DKP(CD)9097

Two additional items should be included on the list:

Op. 49  The True Dark [Text: Randall Swingler]: Song Cycle for Baritone & Piano (1974)
Op. 50  Shadow of the Glen: Opera in 1 Act (Libretto: cpsr after J M Synge) (1978-79)

'The True Dark' has a recording by Richard Jackson and Igor Kennaway; and 'Shadow of the Glen' is performed by Della Jones [sop], John Gibbs [bar], Paul Hudson [bass] Neil Mackie [ten]; The Divertimenti Orchestra / Howard Williams. Both works are on a single CD - Albany TROY418

Finally, I am sure that there are other works - perhaps others could chip in? These just happen to be discs on my shelves. There is, presumably, a First String Quartet, though I have never heard it and doubt if it has a recording.

Can't resist a last word: the Piano Trio and works for String Quartet are real absolute gems!!

Peter

Dundonnell

Thank you very much, Peter for your addition of the chamber and instrumental music :)

I assure you that I have no "prejudice" towards orchestral and choral music in the normal pejorative sense of that word. My interest certainly lies with those musical forms and it is on those that I have therefore devoted my time. As I said before, if others wish to add their own lists of chamber and instrumental music then that would be great ;D

I am certainly glad that you share a measure of enthusiasm for Bernard Stevens and his music :)