Moeran's Cello Concerto and more from Naxos

Started by M. Henriksen, Wednesday 29 February 2012, 09:46

Previous topic - Next topic

M. Henriksen

According to an article on the Naxos website, JoAnn Falletta and the Ulster Orchestra have recorded Moeran's Cello Concerto together with soloist Guy Johnston early in February. Included on this future release is also Whythorne's Shadow, the Serenade and the premiere recording of the original version of Lonely Waters.

I don't know anything about the original Lonely Waters. Maybe others can enlighten us!?

Article here:

http://www.naxos.com/news/default.asp?op=972&displayMenu=Naxos_News&type=2

Morten

Dundonnell

I think that what is in fact meant by "original version" is the alternative version discussed in the Naxos notes. The Chandos recording of 'Lonely Waters' is the orchestral version which ends with a cor anglais solo while the Naxos version will use the version with a singer providing the words:

So I'll go down to some lonely waters,
Go down where no one they shall me find,
Where the pretty little small birds do change their voices,
And every moment blow blustering wild.

alberto

There is a version of "Lonely waters" (with voice) performed by Ann Murray, Jeffrey Tate and the ECO- EMI 64200 (couplings:
Moeran "Whythorne's Shadow", G.Butterworth and Bax). A Cd I like a lot.

M. Henriksen

Maybe I should have read that article more carefully before asking the question about Lonely Waters..
Thanks anyways! From alberto's information, maybe this new recording of the original version is not the first one after all?

Morten

Greg K

Quote from: alberto on Wednesday 29 February 2012, 14:55
There is a version of "Lonely waters" (with voice) performed by Ann Murray, Jeffrey Tate and the ECO- EMI 64200 (couplings:
Moeran "Whythorne's Shadow", G.Butterworth and Bax). A Cd I like a lot.

Just in passing, that's a CD I've loved for at least two decades (besides the Moeran, Butterworth, & Bax works it also includes Bridge's "There is a Willow...").  My favorite renditions of every one of these pieces.  I've never forgiven the Gramophone (and Penguin Guide) reviewers for unjustly (IMO) panning it over the years. The original "Lonely Waters" is quite lovely.

Christo

Quote from: alberto on Wednesday 29 February 2012, 14:55
There is a version of "Lonely waters" (with voice) performed by Ann Murray, Jeffrey Tate and the ECO- EMI 64200 (couplings: Moeran "Whythorne's Shadow", G.Butterworth and Bax). A Cd I like a lot.
My favourite version too. And indeed: possibly the best Jeffrey Tate ever did - a wonderful cd that I've always cherished as something special.

Quote from: Greg K on Wednesday 29 February 2012, 17:57Just in passing, that's a CD I've loved for at least two decades (besides the Moeran, Butterworth, & Bax works it also includes Bridge's "There is a Willow...").  My favorite renditions of every one of these pieces.  I've never forgiven the Gramophone (and Penguin Guide) reviewers for unjustly (IMO) panning it over the years. The original "Lonely Waters" is quite lovely.

My words.