Buettner 1st

Started by malito, Wednesday 29 February 2012, 23:34

Previous topic - Next topic

malito

I just tried to download the Buettner 1st and 2nd.  The 2nd has normal times but the 1st has times of 34, 27 and 29 minutes for each of the 3 movements.  That is not possible...or is it?  Can someone check on what the times really ought to be?  Thanks, Malito

Dundonnell

That's odd :o

The Buttner 1st I downloaded has movement timings of 17.21, 13.41 and 14.42 minutes :)

malito

Dundonnel;  Thanks so much for the info.  I'll check with what I have dowloadeds.  Your times eem more normal.  I just checked and the 1st is 29 min., the second mvt. is 9:21 and the third 7:48 so I don't know what I downloaded.  I'll try again...Malito

eschiss1

mine fits with Dundonnell's. (29 minutes is about the length of the whole Bleyle 2nd symphony- that's quite a difference...)

malito

Can someone please upload the REAL Buttner 1st?  Obviosuly, there is something wrong with the one that is available there now.  Thanks! Mal :)

Dundonnell

I am downloading the zip file again to compare its contents with what I previously downloaded.

Will report back ;D

Dundonnell

Hmmmm ::)

There IS something distinctly odd about these files, I will agree ::)  I apologise for doubting you in any way before :)

The timings given by my Media Player are totally at odds with the ACTUAL time the music lasts for. In real time I have around 31 minutes for Movement I, 19 minutes for Movement II and 11 minutes for Movement III. These figures are at variance with both of your previous timings. That would give a total time of an hour for the symphony. All of which leaves me-like you-hopelessly confused :o

The work was originally uploaded by Ilja. I know that Holger has a copy of the same recording and he gives a timing of 45.43 minutes for the work.

I am afraid that we shall have to wait for either or both of these members to come to the rescue :)

theqbar

I'm afraid i have the same problem, i've downloaded Buettner's first symphony, and the timings of the movements are :47', 28' and 11'. Something's going wrong.

malito

OMG, what have I started?  However, I hope we can fix this so we ALL have the real Buttner 1st...Mal ???

Holger

Hi,

what we have is the real Büttner 1st, all is OK with the files. In my case, the computer suggests silly timings when I click on the files, too, but when I play them all is fine (just try!). So, did you try to play the files? I suppose the problem might vanish then.

Best,
Holger

malito

Well, when I tried to make a CD of the Buttner 1st my program would not allow it as there was too much for one disc so I just downloaded the "first mvt" (32+ minutes) hoping that is the symphony.  Thanks for your help and interest! Malito

Dundonnell

Quote from: Holger on Thursday 01 March 2012, 19:56
Hi,

what we have is the real Büttner 1st, all is OK with the files. In my case, the computer suggests silly timings when I click on the files, too, but when I play them all is fine (just try!). So, did you try to play the files? I suppose the problem might vanish then.

Best,
Holger

I followed Holger's sound advice :) I sat down, listened to each file straight through from beginning to end (without using Media Player to jump to the end of each file) and timed each file with a clock (not a stopwatch but the next best thing).

Results were:

File I/Movement I: 17.30 minutes
File II/Movement II: 13 minutes
File III/Movement III: 14.40 minutes

This gives a grand total of 45 minutes, 10 seconds which is pretty close to Holger's 45 minutes, 43 seconds ;D ;D

Media Player seems to have considerable difficulty 'reading' the files to give timings of any validity at all, let alone accuracy :o Why that should be I have absolutely no idea. Equally, if one tries to jump into the work at any point other than the start of the music this throws Media Player into a complete fit of confusion ::) ;D

So....those are things not to do ;D ;D

(Obviously, all this is from my own experience over the past hour :) I hope it is helpful ???)

Holger

As far as I can see, the correct durations should be like that:

File I: 17:21 / File II: 13:41 / File III: 14:42 // Total Time: 45:43 (when putting all files together to one file)

I also tried to see what happens when I want to burn the symphony onto CD, but in fact, all is fine then (I use Nero for burning discs), no problem.

It would be interesting to know which program(s) malito uses (both for listening and for burning CDs).

Ilja

Banshee (Ubuntu Linux) gives times of 17.21, 13.41 and 14.42, respectively. So nothing strange there. But I have noticed quirks like this before when handling MP3 files; there was one instance in which a symphony was listed as 8 minutes, but kept playing for well over half an hour after that. The solution then was to convert the file to a different (lossless) format.

malito

I use NERO as well for dubbing discs so I have no idea what is going on.  I'll keep trying. Mal