Robert Simpson(1921-97): A Catalogue of the Orchestral Music

Started by Dundonnell, Saturday 03 March 2012, 00:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

ROBERT SIMPSON: A CATALOGUE OF THE ORCHESTRAL MUSIC

1951:   Symphony No.1: 28 minutes  +(EMI and Hyperion cds)
1954:   Allegro Deciso for Strings: 11 minutes
1956:   Symphony No.2: 28 minutes  *  + (Hyperion cd)
1959:   Violin Concerto: 43 minutes  *
1962:   Symphony No.3: 32 minutes  + (NMC and Hyperion cds)
1967:   Piano Concerto: 22 minutes  * + (BBC Classics cd)
1972:   Symphony No.4: 46 minutes  * + (Hyperion cd)
             Symphony No.5: 40 minutes  *  + (Hyperion cd)
1975:   "Media morte in vita sumus" for chorus, brass and timpani  + (Hyperion cd)
1977:   Symphony No.6: 31 minutes  *  + (Hyperion cd)
             Symphony No.7: 28 minutes  + (Hyperion cd)
1981:   Symphony No.8: 44 minutes  + (Hyperion cd)
1983:   Variations on a theme of Nielsen for orchestra: 25 minutes  + (Hyperion cd)
1985-87: Symphony No.9: 49 minutes  + (Hyperion cd)
1988:   Symphony No.10: 57 minutes  + (Hyperion cd)
1989:   Flute Concerto: 29 minutes *
1990:   Symphony No.11: 29 minutes  + (Hyperion cd)
1991:   Cello Concerto: 25 minutes *

and Variations on Happy Birthday for orchestra

eschiss1

Hrm. If you're going to count the brass works, one might as well count the string orchestra works like the Variations and Fugue on a Bach Saraband from 1991, too...

(source: Robertsimpson.info)

semloh

I wonder if there are sufficient of these to justify a separate "Catalogues" thread?

Eric Gilder's book A Dictionary of Composers and Their Music does a similar thing, but is less detailed, less accurate and doesn't include the more obscure or recent-lived/living composers, so these are all really useful.

Thanks for all your effort, Colin!  :) :)

Dundonnell

Quote from: eschiss1 on Saturday 03 March 2012, 06:04
Hrm. If you're going to count the brass works, one might as well count the string orchestra works like the Variations and Fugue on a Bach Saraband from 1991, too...

(source: Robertsimpson.info)

But I am not including the brass works ;D The only exception to this was "Media morte in vita sumus" because of the inclusion of chorus.

I hoped that I had made clear that I simply do not have the time, energy, dedication or interest to make these catalogues comprehensive lists of ALL the composers' works.

Dundonnell

Quote from: semloh on Saturday 03 March 2012, 06:21
I wonder if there are sufficient of these to justify a separate "Catalogues" thread?

Eric Gilder's book A Dictionary of Composers and Their Music does a similar thing, but is less detailed, less accurate and doesn't include the more obscure or recent-lived/living composers, so these are all really useful.

Thanks for all your effort, Colin!  :) :)

When I am finished doing these catalogues then I would hope to consider some way of grouping them together certainly :)