John Foulds(1880-1939): A Catalogue of the Extant Orchestra and Choral Music

Started by Dundonnell, Tuesday 13 March 2012, 19:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

This catalogue lists only the extant orchestral works by John Foulds. There are scores of compositions either completely lost or only in incomplete/sketch form. I have no doubt that there may be some inaccuracies and I would welcome corrections :)

JOHN FOULDS: A CATALOGUE OF THE EXTANT ORCHESTRAL AND CHORAL MUSIC

c. 1898:       "Undine: Suite d'orchestre", op.3: 15 minutes
1905-06:      "Epithalamium"(Music-Poem No.2) for orchestra, op.10: 16 minutes
c.1906:         Lento e Scherzetto for Cello and Orchestra, op.12: 15 minutes
c.1908:         Suite "Holiday Sketches" for orchestra, op.16: 14 minutes   + (Dutton cd)
1908-09:      Cello Concerto in G major, op.17: 30 minutes   + (Dutton cd)
                     "Apotheosis" (Music-Poem No.4)-Elegy for Violin and Orchestra, op.18: 11 minutes   + (Warner cd)
1910:           "Mirage" (Music-Poem No.5) for orchestra, op.20: 23 minutes   + (Forlane and Warner cds)
                      Suite Francaise for orchestra, op.22: 17 minutes   + (Dutton cd)
1911:            Keltic Melodies for strings and harp: 10 minutes
                      Keltic Suite for orchestra, op.29: 15 minutes   + (Dutton cd)
1912:            Music-Pictures (Group 3) for orchestra, op.33: 22 minutes   + (Warner cd)
1915-32:      "Hellas: A Suite of Ancient Greece" for double string orchestra, harp and percussion, op.45: 18 minutes   + (Lyrita cd)
c. 1916:         "Darby and Joan: An Old English Idyll" for violin, cello and string orchestra, op.42, No.1: 7 minutes   + (Dutton cd)
c.1916-17:    Music-Pictures (Group 4): Suite for String Orchestra, op.55: 11 minutes   + (Dutton cd)
1918:            "The Song of Honour" for speaker, chamber orchestra and female voices, op. 54: 12 minutes
1918-21:        A World Requiem for soprano, contralto, tenor, baritone, boys' choir, chorus, organ and orchestra, op.60: 90 minutes   + (Chandos cd)
c.1918-22:    Grand Fantasie on Berlioz's "The Damnation of Faust" for orchestra: 13 minutes
1919-30:       Three Mantras from "Avatara" for orchestra, op.61B: 26 minutes   + (Lyrita and Warner cds)
c.1921:         "Peace and War": Meditation for orchestra: 7 minutes
c.1922:         A Gaelic Dream-Song for orchestra, op.68: 4 minutes
                     "La Belle Pierrette"-Intermezzo Impromptu for small orchestra: 5 minutes   + (Dutton cd)
c.1924:         "Le Cabaret: Overture to a French Comedy", op.72A: 3 minutes   + (Lyrita cd)
                       Suite Fantastique for orchestra, op.72(B): 14 minutes   + (Dutton cd)
1924 ?:          Music-Pictures (Group 6): Gaelic Melodies for small orchestra, op.81: 8 minutes   + (Dutton cd)
1924-25:      "Saint Joan Suite" for small orchestra, op.82    + (Forlane cd)
1920s:          "Lyra Celtica"-Concerto for Voice and Orchestra, op.50 (unfinished): 16 minutes   + (Warner cd)
c.1925:          Florida Spiritual for small orchestra, op.71A: 4 minutes   + (Dutton cd)
1925-26:       Suite in the Olden Style from "Henry VIII" for orchestra, op.87: 11 minutes   + (Dutton cd)
1927/1935:  Strophes from an Antique Song for small orchestra: 3 minutes   + (Dutton cd)
1927:             Sicilian Aubade for orchestra: 5 minutes   + (Dutton cd)
                     "Isles of Greece" ("Impressions of time and place" No.2) for small orchestra, op.48 No.2: 4 minutes   + (Dutton cd)
1929:            Dynamic Triptych for Piano and Orchestra, op.88: 25 minutes   + (Lyrita and Warner cds)
1930:            Keltic Overture, op.28: 7 minutes   + (Dutton cd)
                     "Death and the Maiden"-Schubert's String Quartet re-imagined as a Symphony for full orchestra, op.8
1932:            "April-England" ("Impressions of time and place" No.1) for orchestra, op.48 No.1: 7 minutes   + (Lyrita and Warner cds)
c.1932:          Fantasie of Negro Spirituals for orchestra: 13 minutes
                      Mendelssohn-Fantasie for orchestra: 15 minutes
1932-35:      Indian Suite for orchestra: 12 minutes   + (Dutton cd)
c.1933:         Schubert Fantasie for orchestra: 14 minutes
1934:            A Puppet Ballet Suite: 20 minutes
c.1934:         Carnival for orchestra: 5 minutes
                      Tchaikovsky-Fantasie for orchestra: 15 minutes
1935:            Chinese Suite for orchestra, op.95: 17 minutes
                     "The Song of Ram Dass" for small orchestra: 3 minutes   + (Warner cd)
                     "Tzigeuner" for small orchestra: 6 minutes
c. 1935:         Three Pasquinades for orchestra, op.37(unfinished): 14 minutes
                     "Pasquinades Symphoniques"  for orchestra, op.98 (unfinished): 20 minutes    + (No.1 Forlane cd, No.2 Lyrita cd)
1936:            Kashmiri Wedding Procession for small orchestra: 5 minutes
                      "Scene Picaresque (Nature-notes No.3)": Spanish Serenade for small orchestra: 5 minutes
c.1936:         Kashmiri Boat Song: On the Jhelum River (Nature-notes No.2) for small orchestra: 5 minutes
                       Hebrew Rhapsody for orchestra: 15 minutes
                      "Raindrops(Nature-Notes No.1)" for small orchestra: 3 minutes
1936-37:      "An Arabian Night: Oriental Nocturne" for small orchestra: 6 minutes   + (Dutton cd)

Latvian

Thank you for your efforts on behalf of one of my favorite unsung Brits.

By the way, Mirage, one of the Pasquinades, and the Saint Joan suite are on a Forlane CD (coupled with works by Parry and Brian).

Dundonnell

Quote from: Latvian on Tuesday 13 March 2012, 22:31
Thank you for your efforts on behalf of one of my favorite unsung Brits.

By the way, Mirage, one of the Pasquinades, and the Saint Joan suite are on a Forlane CD (coupled with works by Parry and Brian).

Thanks, Maris, for the additional information :)  Catalogue duly amended.

Jimfin

Gosh, this must be second only to Holbrooke in difficulty. Thank you, as ever.

alberto

According to the booklet of the Forlane recording (I have it in Lp format) Foulds, fled from home thirteen years old, "met" Bruckner in Wien at the latter's Seventh Symphony rehearsals. Any of you knows about that "meeting": or simply Foulds, not older than fifteen, was present at such rehersals and "saw" the grand old composer?

Leea25

Great! Thanks Dundonnell - even Grove gave up on trying to date this lot!

You should write to them - they always seem grateful when I drop them a line to say something like "did you know that composer X died in 1998 and you still have him/her as alive in your dictionary?"  :D

Dundonnell

Quote from: Jimfin on Wednesday 14 March 2012, 08:51
Gosh, this must be second only to Holbrooke in difficulty. Thank you, as ever.

Difficult, certainly but not as bad as Holbrooke ;D  I did, however, have the advantage that Malcolm MacDonald had been there before me and had conducted a vast amount of research into Foulds. I am hoping that Gareth can assist me with Holbrooke :)