Rauchenecker Symphony No. 1 in F minor, etc.

Started by black, Thursday 03 December 2009, 13:42

Previous topic - Next topic

jerfilm

Thanks Francisco.   Enjoyed the YouTube presentation.   The CD, at 48 euros, I guess is not likely to be a runaway best seller.

Jerry

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

Rauchenecker's Symphonic Composition in the Style of an Ouverture from 1880 (on YouTube, link as above) is a veritable Wagnerian extravaganza of a piece. Marvellous!

jerfilm

Quote from: Alan Howe on Saturday 02 March 2013, 18:11
It's not a CD: it's the score and parts...

Ah so, my mistake.   That makes it a bit more sensible.

J

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteRauchenecker's Symphonic Composition in the Style of an Ouverture from 1880 (on YouTube, link as above) is a veritable Wagnerian extravaganza of a piece. Marvellous!

Just so, Alan. Delicious bombast! Love it.

petershott@btinternet.com

I hope, Alan, that given a reading of the Wiki article on Rauchenecker you kindly posted earlier, you weren't in the least surprised to find this work "marvellous".

True, the only Rauchenecker work I know is the C minor String Quartet from 1874 (the first in a series of six, though sadly some of them appear forever lost.) I listened to this Quartet again last night (on the Jecklin disc where it is paired with the early Goetz B flat Quartet).

And again, another case for proclaiming "marvellous". Some doubtless won't be as enthusiastic, but I think it is a terrific work. The second movement, marked 'Andante moderato', is perfectly lovely; and the final movement, 'Allegro con fuoco', is written with a splendid verve and dash. Here is a composer surely who is a wonderfully natural in writing for string quartet and does so with a complete confidence. It would be silly to make a judgment on the basis of a single work, but I suspect with Rauchenecker we have a real gem in late 19th century music. Quite awful we might never get to think this given many works which seem to have disappeared and in the case of preserved works a considerable amount of dust standing in the way of performance.

eschiss1

someone's been putting in a lot of effort to scan in works of his that do survive and upload them to IMSLP, though. It's one step of many that can be useful, but it is one step.

francisco

Peter,

I had the pleasure to discover about 50kgs of manuscripts of Rauchenecker two years ago. Among the material were two string quartets, so that quartet no 1,2,3, and 6 are now available. The last one has been published by amadeusmusic recently, number 3 will follow soon. Three operas were completely discovered and several orchestral works, too. Should anyone be interested in evaluating and probably performing the material (which meanwhile has been scanned), just give me a sign...

petershott@btinternet.com

Francisco - This is enormously interesting....and most encouraging. I do very much hope we shall have a serious awakening of interest in Rauchenecker.

I hope you will keep us posted on this forum in developments - new discoveries, performances, and recordings. All very exciting! I, for one, am most grateful to you for your work in revealing this hitherto unsung composer.

eschiss1

A late reply to this thread. I find a video (not sure if it's been mentioned on this forum) on YouTube from 2010 of Howard Griffiths conducting this composer's Symphonic Sound-work (Tonstücke) in the style of an overture (ca.1880?), posted it seems on the channel of the orchestra he was conducting (here is the link, if I may.) There is a website that claims it will convert those to mp3s, which I aim to try to run that through, as I shouldn't mind adding that to my collection; impressive piece!

(once I'm done processing/adding to my overstressed iPod some recent gift-card mp3 purchases (my first ever *g*) (18 hours of Bach cantatas, Chopin, Liszt organ music...- mostly VoxBox stuffs...- er- anyways.))

Anyhow, while I haven't heard the one work of his I know has been recorded commercially (string quartet no.1), it's good to hear something of his...

Alan Howe

Eric: I mentioned the work posted on YouTube in my message of 2nd March.

eschiss1

Alan Howe

No need to apologise, I'm sure. Glad you found the piece.

francisco

Eric, you may find the "Sinfonisches Tonwerk" also here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vm11lcp96cq8an8/Konzert%20Rauchenecker%206.4.2013.MTS

It was a concert of the Musikkollegium Winterthur, conducted by Reto Schärli.
Enjoy!