News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Pfitzner Von Deutscher Seele

Started by alberto, Wednesday 28 March 2012, 11:12

Previous topic - Next topic

alberto

Recently in Berlin, still Mecca for the classical Cd hunter (and in general for the classical music fan) I have bought, inter alia, Hans Pfitzner's Von Deutsche Seele (2 Cd Capriccio C5092 - 2011 re-release (first release 2008) Ingo Metzmacher cond. with excellent soloists, choral and orchestral Berlin forces).
This great and long (but not too much ) 1921 cantata needs repeated listenings , but even at first hearing reveals remarkable qualities.
Several recordings exist from the fifties (and another recent one) and in Berlin they had all of them available!
The title may appear ambiguous (related to Pfitzner), but the Eichendorff (1788-1857) settings do not appear politically uncorrect (if is really one has to be worried).
This 1921 cantata appears to me both a cross-road of its time both a very personal utterance.
Anyone has to comment? 

Dundonnell

I am sorry that no one has commented on your post, alberto.

I think like you obviously do that "Von Deutscher Ssele" is one of Pfitzner's finest works, worthy to stand beside 'Palestrina' as a masterpiece of late German Romanticism.  The version I have is, I admit, the ultra-cheap Arte Nova cd set conducted by Martin Sieghart but it is by no means a neglible interpretation :)

Pfitzner may not have been the nicest of composers ;D  but his music should not be dismissed on any sort of political grounds. It is always competent and, sometimes, inspired.

erato

I notice that Andromeda has this on mdt:

PFITZNER Von deutscher Seele (Of the German Soul). Fritz Wunderlich, A. Kupper, M. Bence, E. Denger. Heinz Mende. Andromeda 2cds

Live 1958.

minacciosa

A great work it is, though one which has not acquired the respect abroad that it seems to enjoy in its homeland. What would it take to have a performance in America? Such tone-painting as this needs the widest possible exposure, as opposed to the stories about the composer which have travelled fast and far without equal access to his music.