News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Volkmar Andreae

Started by mbhaub, Saturday 05 December 2009, 22:33

Previous topic - Next topic

mbhaub

The past few days I have wallowing in chamber music that is totally new to me. The piano trios, a Flute and String trio, and string quartets of Volkmar Andreae (1879 - 1962). If his name has ever come up before, it blew right past me. And the only reason I picked up these disks is I recently acquired another set of Bruckner symphonies, from the Vienna Symphony archives with Andreae conducting. One thing led to another and I ordered the two disks on Guild (GMCD 7328 & 7307). What a wonderful discovery! 20th century music that's really quite enjoyable. Once again the question must be asked: how is it that this marvelous music has been unknown for so long? If you like Brahms, Borodin, Dvorak, Raff and company you'll love this music. I sure hope Guild keeps cranking out more of his music. And his Bruckner is pretty darn good too!

izdawiz

Yep I do have to say that his Piano Trios are Lovely! I'm a lover of unsung chamber music and upon hearing this Cd.. I have to give it 2 thumbs up!!

jerfilm

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the February Guild release of his lovely Symphony in C along with three other smaller orchestral works.   You can sample it here:

http://www.amazon.com/Orchestral-Music-Volkmar-Andreae-1879-1962/dp/B0072TC2YO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332945304&sr=8-1

I'd say a must for romantics.....

Jerry

Mark Thomas

Jerry, you'll find plenty of appreciation for it here.

Dundonnell

I also very much enjoyed the three other Andreae works which accompany the Symphony on the Guild cd, especially the Kleine Suite :)

jerfilm

Sorry about that, Mark.  I searched for Andreae and got this site but not the more specific one.....sigh......maybe I'm gettin' too old for this stuff.....

Jerry

Alan Howe

Don't worry, Jerry. It's good to have you on board.
Alan Howe