Rubinstein Symphony 2 on Delos

Started by Alan Howe, Tuesday 03 April 2012, 13:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Rubinstein's Symphony 2 (in its 4-movement version) is being re-issued on Delos:
http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product//DRD2010.htm
Does anyone know this recording?

saxtromba

This was a Russian Disc recording in its earlier incarnation.  I haven't listened to it in a while, but recall thinking that the climax/finale of the last movement was slightly unbalanced between the chorale and the accompaniment, with the latter standing out a bit much.  Otherwise, generally good; energetic, yet with some room for warmth.  If you don't have it, and you like Rubinstein, it's definitely worth buying.

sdtom

Quote from: Alan Howe on Tuesday 03 April 2012, 13:31
Rubinstein's Symphony 2 (in its 4-movement version) is being re-issued on Delos:
http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product//DRD2010.htm
Does anyone know this recording?

I have it and am doing a review of it as I type. We can also look forward to a Gliere Symphony No. 3, Rubinstein Symphony No. 4, both with Golovchin and the State Symphony of Russia. In addition there will be a volume six of Shostakovich film music. All these will be released this year.
Tom

Alan Howe

sdtom

Was there ever a recording of the second Rubinstein 'Ocean' revision that had 6 movements.
Tom

saxtromba

Two thoughts on Rubinstein relevant here:
Quote from: sdtom on Tuesday 17 April 2012, 18:11
Was there ever a recording of the second Rubinstein 'Ocean' revision that had 6 movements?
There was not, but the old Candide recording of the second had five movements!
QuoteWe can also look forward to a Gliere Symphony No. 3, Rubinstein Symphony No. 4, both with Golovchin and the State Symphony of Russia.
The Golovchin Rubinstein 4th is a very mixed bag.  The slow movement is stunningly performed; if every performance of Rubinstein's work was at this level, he would be ineligible for discussion here because he would be recognized among the greats.  But the first movement is rather scrappy, the scherzo ignores repeats (and replaces the wonderfully odd solo string section with the full strings), and the last movement is cut significantly.