LoC Jukebox

Started by eschiss1, Tuesday 03 April 2012, 17:44

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

The Library of Congress has a relatively, though no longer very, new portion of their website called the Jukebox where recordings from about 1900 to 1930 (some or all of them commercial recordings, I think- Victor acoustic recordings, that sort of thing) of music- some popular, some folk, some classical - most in the 2-5 minute range, I think- are available in digitized form for educational use. Searchable, large, and to my mind quite interesting (though my interests have expanded some after exposure to some of the parlor songs and piano music published in the 1800s and scanned at the American Memory portion of the LoC site- either it wasn't as generally boring/low and uninteresting in quality and style respectively as I thought- though a lot still seems to me to be so - or my tastes have changed to encompass it. 

The site is National Jukebox (of the USA)

For instance, for a recording of a famous (once...) song of Adolf Jensen, his Murmuring Zephyr (op.21 no.4), see here, for instance (Lambert Murphy in 1922, on a Victor recording- a 78?- singing a translation by Theodore Baker (of Baker's etc.) in an arrangement for tenor, harp and quartet of no.4 of Jensen's op.21 Spanish Liederbuche songs - see IMSLP for the score.)

Eric