It's Spohr week on the BBC

Started by Mark Thomas, Tuesday 08 December 2009, 22:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

Fresh from its exploration of Moszkowski, BBC Radio 3 has chosen Spohr as its Composer of the Week for next week. That means an hour of Spohr each weekday, repeated later in the evening. As far as I can see, nothing unusual is being played but to have two unsungs so close together is a welcome development from the BBC.

Peter1953

Louis Spohr, finally. In the Netherlands this week's composer on Radio 4 is Herbert Howells (1892-1983). Now that's a real unsung British composer, at least over here. How about in the UK?

Gareth Vaughan

Howells is well represented on disk in the UK and his church music is regularly sung by cathedral choirs. His large scale choral works and instrumental compositions, however, rarely get heard in the concert hall.

Alan Howe

Ever tried Howells' 1st PC? Now that's quite a late-Romantic blockbuster. Try the audio excerpts here...

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Herbert-Howells-Klavierkonzerte-Nr-1-2/hnum/3351905

Great news about Spohr week!

John H White

Oh Bother! I've only just seen this thread------and I'm a fully paid up member of the Spohr Society of Great Britain! :'(

Mark Thomas