Benjamin Lees(1924-2010): a Catalogue of the Orchestral and Choral Music

Started by Dundonnell, Saturday 07 April 2012, 21:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

Another very fine American composer who eschewed serialism and changes in musical fashion in favour of a style which is nevertheless modern within traditional forms. Very well worth investigation if you do not know his impressive music

BENJAMIN LEES: A CATALOGUE OF THE ORCHESTRAL AND CHORAL MUSIC

1953:   Symphony no.1  (withdrawn)
             Declamations for Piano and Strings: 10 minutes
1954:   Profile for orchestra  (withdrawn)
1955:   Piano Concerto No.1: 24 minutes   +  (Pierian cd)
             Four Songs of the Night for soprano and thirteen instruments: 8 minutes
1957:   Divertimento-Burlesca for chamber orchestra: 22 minutes
             Interlude for String Orchestra: 12 minutes
1958:   Symphony No.2: 22 minutes   + (Albany cd)
             Violin Concerto: 24 minutes   +  (Artek cd)
1959:   Concerto for Orchestra: 24 minutes    *
             Concertante Breve for orchestra: 16 minutes
             Prologue, Capriccio and Epilogue for orchestra: 10 minutes   +  (CRI cd)
1961:   Cantata "Visions of Poets" for soprano, tenor, chorus and orchestra: 48 minutes
1963:   Oboe Concerto: 17 minutes
1964:   Concerto for String Quartet and Orchestra: 21 minutes   + (CRI cd)
             "Spectrum" for orchestra: 10 minutes
1966:   Piano Concerto No.2: 25 minutes   + (Albany cd)
             Concerto for Chamber Orchestra: 18 minutes
             Fanfare for a Centennial: 3 minutes
1967:   "Silhouettes" for orchestra: 15 minutes
1969:   Symphony No.3: 26 minutes   + (Albany cd)
1972:   "The Trumpet of the Swan" for narrator and orchestra: 17 minutes
1973:   Collage for string quartet, wind quintet and percussion: 11 minutes
1974:   Etudes for Piano and Orchestra: 20 minutes   +  (Albany cd)
1975:   Passacaglia for Orchestra: 13 minutes   +  (Delos cd)
             "Labyrinths" for symphonic band: 15 minutes
1976:   Concerto for Woodwind Quintet and Orchestra: 18 minutes
             Variations for Piano and Orchestra: 18 minutes
1979:   Ballet "Scarlatti Portfolio": 25 minutes
1980:   "Mobiles" for orchestra: 20 minutes
1982:   Double Concerto for Piano, Cello and Orchestra: 20 minutes
1983:   Concerto for Brass Choir and Orchestra: 20 minutes
1984:   "Portrait of Rodin" for orchestra: 17 minutes
1985:   Symphony No.4 "Memorial Candles" for mezzo-soprano, violin, and orchestra: 60 minutes   +  (Naxos cd)
1986:   Symphony No.5 "Kalmar Nyckel": 26 minutes   +  (Albany cd)
1992:   Horn Concerto: 20 minutes   +  (New World cd)
1993:   "Borealis" for orchestra: 9 minutes
1994:   "Echoes of Normandy" for tenor, tape, organ and orchestra: 24 minutes
1996:   "Celebration" for orchestra: 3 minutes
1997:   "Constellations" for orchestra: 9 minutes
1998:   Intermezzo for String Orchestra: 3 minutes
1999:   Percussion Concerto: 18 minutes
2006:   Piano Concerto No.3: 23 minutes

petershott@btinternet.com

A veritable cracker of a composer in my view, and I believe American music lost a distinguished figure when he died a couple of years ago.

I'm sure Dundonnell won't object if I augment his valuable catalogue with mention of a Naxos CD of String Quartets 1, 5 and 6 by the Cypress Quartet. Hopefully the same Quartet and Naxos will give us the remaining quartets soon.

Dundonnell

I don't mind in the slightest :) :)

Were I doing this for a living (ie being paid to do it ;D ;D) I would, of course, include these composer's chamber music. But I am doing it for enjoyment and-hopefully-to provide useful information so you get what you get ;D

petershott@btinternet.com

Curious! I would have thought it the other way round. Namely, that if one's paid to do a job then most people (in my experience) would do the least necessary for the doing of that job. Whereas if one does something for enjoyment and the fun of the thing, then most folk would be happy to go the extra mile - thus in the present case add in the chamber music (and even to keep all content maybe throw in the music for film and brass band as well).

But no matter - a real damp squib of a post, nothing at all to do with music, and it thoroughly deserves to be placed in the category to which all dull and trite posts are condemned!

Dundonnell

No.  In my own personal experience, when I did a job for which I was being paid (which I did up until 5 years ago ;D), I made sure that it was done as throughly as I possibly could.

When I do something for enjoyment/fun I do something which will, primarily, interest me. Compiling catalogues which, quite explicitly, are designed to provide a full list of a composer's orchestral and major choral music is a task I hugely enjoy.....but which I want to share with others in the hope that they will find such lists useful.

As I have said before, if others would like to add the chamber music, etc etc then that would be just great :) I have actually now started including music written for brass and I shall-probably-return to my British catalogues and add those works to them. I have to tell you though that the prospect of adding all the music Gordon Jacob wrote for brass bands fills me with unmitigated horror ;D ;D