Morawski symphonic poems

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 18 April 2012, 11:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

markniew

great news! And it has been issued by the Polish CD Accord!
I have not seen it in the shops so far. on the Cd Accord website they indicate the address to order:
sawart@sawart.com.pl
however I cannot find this item on the website of sawart.

It is available through our merlin:
http://merlin.pl/Eugeniusz-Morawski_Sinfonia-Varsovia/browse/product/4,1020720.html?place=suggest#fullinfo

price (in Poland) is 50 PLN = 11-12 EURO

M. Henriksen

I found some information about a Polish documentary from 2011 called Fantasy on a theme of Morawski. I haven't seen the film, but the synopsis was a short and informative introduction to this composer:

Over a century ago, the forgotten Polish composer Eugeniusz Morawski created his outstanding compositions. Even though he was a director of the pre-war Warsaw Conservatory, he never used his position to promote his own works, of which around 80% were burnt during the Warsaw Uprising. The remnants, recovered from the ruins of a house by his brother, comprise amazingly visual film-like compositions, even though they were created around 1910. Soon these works will be performed and recorded by Warsaw Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Monika Wolińska. Fantasy on a Theme by Morawski, a movie by Maciej Puczyński, consists of a documentary preserving the living memories about the composer, and dream-like fantasies on the life and inspirations of the great but unknown man. It is a nocturne about lost heritage and the world that is gone. Its fragments exist only in the three rescued symphonic poems, two ballets and a dozen songs.

Sad to learn about the fate of most of his compositions, I understand there were 3 symphonies and 2 piano concertos amongst his output.

Thanks for the heads up!

Morten

markniew

Yes, what a pitty that most of his music has been lost! Morawski is not the only case here in Poland.
I believe that the announced recordings of his ballets will include: Switezianka and Love.
The suite form Switezianka I have got in Polish Radio archive reording. I do have also The Love (full version - lasting ca. 1,5 hour) but cannot remember how I got it - for sure not off radio

M. Henriksen

So there will be recorded more Morawski? I wasn't aware of that, but it's good news. Will CD Accord do this?

Morten

markniew

I don't know. I believe however reading that "Soon these works [remnants after Warsaw Uprising] will be performed and recorded by Warsaw Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Monika Wolińska"

markniew

In the Downloads/Polish Music the following can be found:

EUGENIUSZ  MORAWSKI (1876-1948)
Music form the Ballet "Świtezianka" /fragments/ (1931)

Świtezianka (The Nymph/ The Maid of Lake Switez) is a romantic ballad (poem) by Adam Mickiewicz that inspired many composers: Chopin, Moniuszko, Rimsky-Korsakov, Loeve

The Ballet had its premiere at the Warsaw Great Opera Theater on 13.05.1931

some info on Mickiewicz:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mickiewicz