Two Eggert symphonies recorded by Naxos

Started by Hofrat, Friday 18 December 2009, 11:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Hofrat

Two Eggert Symphonies Recorded for Naxos
December 16, 2009

Joachim Nicolas Eggert's Symphony in C major and Symphony in E flat major have been recorded by Gävle Symphony Orchestra conducted by Gerard Korsten between 23–27 December 2009 in Gävle Symphony Hall, Gavle, Sweden and will be released on Naxos 8.572457.

'Symphonies No 1 in C major and No 4 in E-flat major by Swedish Joachim Nikolas Eggert were among the first symphonies written where trombones are used. Both were stylishly played by the Gävle Symphony Orchestra and superbly conducted by Gerhard Korsten. These were enjoyable sessions, with good discipline and concentration throughout. We're looking forward to recording Eggert's Symphonies Nos 2 and 3.

Syrelius

That will be a most interesting release! Let's hope this will be the the sort of recording that Eggert's music deserves!

Peter1953

Very good news! For many of us this disc shall be a must-buy.

Any idea when the CD will be available, Avishai?

Hofrat

I am sorry to announce that the Eggert recording will be released only in 2011.  If any of the forum members have any influence in Naxos, please use it to expedate an earlier release.

JimL

Quote from: Hofrat on Friday 18 December 2009, 11:31'Symphonies No 1 in C major and No 4 in E-flat major by Swedish Joachim Nikolas Eggert were among the first symphonies written where trombones are used. Both were stylishly played by the Gävle Symphony Orchestra and superbly conducted by Gerhard Korsten. These were enjoyable sessions, with good discipline and concentration throughout. We're looking forward to recording Eggert's Symphonies Nos 2 and 3.'
Were there trombones in the 1st?  I thought it was only in the E-flat symphony that they were used.

Hofrat

There are trombones only in Eggert's Eb  symphony.  Naxos does does not have their facts straight.

Alan Howe

It is great news indeed about this release. Let's hope that Naxos get their facts straight, though...

Hofrat

I personly know the writer of the liner notes and I am positive that he has his facts straight.

There is no concensus for the order of Eggert's symphonies, but it seems that the Eb (with the trombones!) is the third. 

BTW, there is an unfinished symphony in D-minor by Eggert that is also scored for trombones.  He finished up until the end of the exposition, but nothing can be done with it.

JimL

Quote from: Hofrat on Saturday 19 December 2009, 12:18
I personly know the writer of the liner notes and I am positive that he has his facts straight.
I'm sure you know him really well! ;)