Ole Olsen Symphony on Sterling

Started by Alan Howe, Saturday 19 December 2009, 10:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Pengelli

By the way,if you want a good laugh, after listening to his symphony,you can see a clip of him on 'you tube with his mate Chic Johnson!!!!!!

petershott@btinternet.com

Deeply grateful to edurban for his painstaking research on the Olsen Sisters.

I guess it is no less than Ashley and Mary-Kate Olsen who so memorably recorded the piano duet version of John Taverner's 'The Celestial Sigh: Variations on a Languorous Episode' [transcribed for Euphonium and Byzantine Xylophone] on the now defunct EMI label?

Alan Howe

Ahem, gentlemen. Just an observation that we are in danger of losing the thread entirely here...

eschiss1

Someone mentioned the Winter-Hjelm 2nd; was this ever reissued on CD? A local station played this work from time to time fairly recently, I think. Enjoyable.
Eric

Mark Thomas

No, I don't believe that it was, Eric. Odd that I was listening to my LP transfer only the other day. Not that it's a great cornerstone of even the Scandinavian symphonic repertoire. A tuneful, but rather naive work.

Syrelius

If someone of you have been waiting for the Haarklou CD that I mentioned earlier in this thread, I'm afraid I must disappoint you. Apparently, Sterling had to drop this project.  :(

Alan Howe

Rats! I was looking forward to hearing Haarklou...

Hovite

Quote from: eschiss1 on Tuesday 09 March 2010, 17:19Someone mentioned the Winter-Hjelm 2nd; was this ever reissued on CD? A local station played this work from time to time fairly recently, I think. Enjoyable.

It has also been broadcast by the BBC, probably from the LP release, which was NKF 30058. If you can play an LP, then you might consider searching for a second hand copy. There appears to be one on offer in Toronto. Apparently this LP also has Thomas Tellefsen's Piano Concerto No. 1.

M. Henriksen

Quote from: Syrelius on Wednesday 19 January 2011, 07:05

If someone of you have been waiting for the Haarklou CD that I mentioned earlier in this thread, I'm afraid I must disappoint you. Apparently, Sterling had to drop this project.  :(

What a pity! From what I've read in official documents, this recording project received the same amount of economical support from the Norwegian Arts' Council as the Alnæs and Olsen-projects. I guess Haarklou has to wait a bit more then..

Morten

dafrieze

If anyone is still looking for the Winter-Hjelm Second Symphony, I have a copy of it on four mp3 files.  I'll be happy to email it to you.

Mark Thomas

I understand, Morten, that Sterling's Haarklou project has indeed foundered for reasons which might best be described as "artistic differences".

Richard Moss

Friend 'Dafrieze', 

In response to your kind offer about mp3 files, I would very much llike to hear the Winter-Hjelm work.  I tried to buy this from the NKF organisation last year (along with some other 'rareties' they still have avaialible) but was informed by them that the LP had never been transcribed to CD (alas!)

I'm not sure about protocol but my e-mail address is as follows:

richardamoss@lineone.net

Many thanks in advance

Richard Moss

FBerwald

BIS released the same Symphony as Symphony No. 1 yet wiki only mentions one. IS there a 2nd?

eschiss1

hrm-- well, there's the 2 organ symphonies. Maybe only one orchestral symphony, though.