Gosta Nystroem(1890-1966): a Catalogue of the Orchestral and Choral Music

Started by Dundonnell, Saturday 28 April 2012, 15:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

GOSTA NYSTROEM: A CATALOGUE OF THE ORCHESTRAL AND CHORAL MUSIC

1917/24:Rondo Capriccioso for Violin and Orchestra
1924-25:Symphonic Poem "Ishavet(Arctic Ocean)": 23 minutes   +  (Caprice and BIS cds)
1925:   Symphonic Poem "Babel's Tower"
1929-30:Concerto for String Orchestra, No.1: 31 minutes   + (Intim Musik cd)
1929-31:Sinfonia Breve(Symphony No.1): 18 minutes    +  (Caprice and BIS cds)
1932-35:Sinfonia Espressiva (Symphony No.2): 36 minutes   + (BIS cd)
1933:   Incidental Music to "Konungen(The King)"
                 (and Theatre Suite No.1)
1934:   Incidental Music to Shakespeare's "The Tempest"
                (and Theatre Suite No.2 for women's choir and orchestra)
1936:   Theatre Suite No. 4 "The Merchant of Venice"   +  (Swedish Society Discofil cd)
1937:   A Little Intermezzo for Cor Anglais and String Orchestra
1940:   Viola Concerto "Hommage a la France": 17 minutes   +  (BIS cd)
1940-44/
   51-52:Sinfonia Concertante for Cello and Orchestra: 32 minutes   +  (Swedish Society Discofil and BIS cds)
1942:   Songs by the Sea for voice and orchestra: 17 minutes  +  (Swedish Society Discofil, Phono Suecia and BIS cds)
             Three Love Songs for medium voice and orchestra: 10 minutes
1945:   Ouverture Symphonique
1946-48:Sinfonia del Mare (Symphony No.3) for soprano and orchestra: 36 minutes     + (Swedish Society Discofil, Phono Suecia and BIS cds)
1950:   Suite "Palettskrap" for small orchestra
1951-52:Sinfonia Shakespeariana (Symphony No.4): 25 minutes    +  (BIS cd)
1952:   Ballet "The Swain and the Six Princesses"
1953:   Partita for Flute, Harp and Strings "Karol Szymanowski in memoriam": 16 minutes    +  (Intim Musik cd)
1954/57:Violin Concerto: 28 minutes    + (Tibor Varga Collection cd)
1955:   Concerto for String Orchestra, No.2: 27 minutes    +  (Intim Musik cd)
1959:   Concerto Ricercante for Piano, strings, percussion, harp and celeste: 24 minutes    *
1963:   Sinfonia Seria(Symphony No.5) for strings, flute and percussion: 26 minutes      +  (Caprice and BIS cds)
1964:   "Summer Music" for soprano and chamber orchestra: 18 minutes
1965:   Sinfonia Tramontana (Symphony No.6): 28 minutes    +  (BIS cd)

and   Valse Solenelle for orchestra

M. Henriksen

So, Swedish composers now!? I thought you said you needed a rest. I'm working on a Kallstenius catalogue at the moment, but not at the same speed as you  :)

Morten

Dundonnell

I thought that, in most cases, they did not compose as much music as their American cousins  ;D  but Hilding Rosenberg is proving me wrong ;D
There is certainly less music for bands of various kinds.

Regarding Nystroem....the Wikipedia article (which is copied in many other places) names a "Sinfonia di Lontano" of 1963. (Sinfonia di Lontana would mean "Symphony of the Distance").

I can find no references to this work outside of the Wikipedia world. It is certainly not amongst Nystroem's numbered symphonies.

Does anyone know anything about such a work ??? ???

Christo

According to The New Grove, the 'Sinfonia di lontano' (with an -o, not an -a, perhaps the search is hindered a bit by a typo?) is from 1963, between the Fifth and Sixth symphonies.

Other catalogues in the Internet, not only Wikipedia, mention the same title with the same year, e.g. http://www.servinghistory.com/topics/Gosta_Nystroem::sub::Chronological_Worklist

Dundonnell

There is a typo indeed in my post, Johan :-[  but not in my original search.

As you say, Lontano is the correct spelling but that stills fails to find anything about the work.

alberto

No real help from me. But I would translate "Sinfonia di Lontano" "Symphony FROM distance".

Christo

It is helpful. The whole opus seems to have disappeared behind the horizon. :-)