Index of Composer Catalogues - Comments

Started by Dundonnell, Wednesday 28 March 2012, 01:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

Updated with the recent additions of J.F. Barnett, Frederick Corder, Sir Frederic H. Cowen, Henry R. Gadsby and Thomas Wingham by Albion, Percy Sherwood by Alan, and Sir Henry Walford Davies by Dundonnell.

Can anybody tell me whether Walford as in Walford Davies is to be regarded as a Christian name or as part of the surname ???

Christo

Quote from: Dundonnell on Wednesday 28 March 2012, 01:01
Can anybody tell me whether Walford as in Walford Davies is to be regarded as a Christian name or as part of the surname ???

According to wikipedia, this middle name (his maternal grandmother's maiden name) was later added, but officially as another first name, replacing "Henry". His family name being simply Davies. Any other insights here?

albion

Quote from: Dundonnell on Wednesday 28 March 2012, 01:01Can anybody tell me whether Walford as in Walford Davies is to be regarded as a Christian name or as part of the surname ???

'Walford' should be regarded as a Christian name, with 'Davies' as the surname.

:)

Dundonnell

Thank you both for the clarification of the situation regarding Sir Henry Walford Davies and his proper nomenclature ;D

I shall move him forthwith up the alphabet from 'W- to 'D'  :)

Have also added Sir Alexander Mackenzie to the Index :)

Dundonnell

Sir Malcolm Arnold, Havergal Brian, Frank Bridge and Gerald Finzi have been added.

Jimfin

I continue to be filled with awe at your work on these magnificent catalogues

Dundonnell

Updated with the recent additions of Charles Loeffler, Edward MacDowell, Quincy Porter and Robert Ward.

Dundonnell

Updated with the recent additions of Erik Chisholm and Cipriani Potter.

semloh

Quote from: Dundonnell on Monday 23 April 2012, 01:46
Updated with the recent additions of Erik Chisholm and Cipriani Potter.

Excellent stuff, Colin! Thank you!  ;)

Dundonnell

....and updated again, with the further additions of W.H. Bell, Ina Boyle, Samuel Coleridge-Taylor,  Learmont Drysdale and Hamish MacCunn courtesy of Albion. :)

Dundonnell

Updated with the recent additions of Henry Cowell and Alan Hovhaness.

That makes a total of 39 American Composer catalogues. I now need a rest :)

TerraEpon

Well you could do Gottschalk, his is pretty short :P

jerfilm

Did we miss the ever popular Rod McKuen??  Tsk Tsk......

Jerry

Dundonnell

Since I am a bit of a stickler for symmetry, I shall set to work on one more American composer-simply to bring the total to a round, neat 40 ;D ;D

William Grant Still, I think, merits the treatment :)