Erkki Melartin's third Symphony

Started by anssik, Friday 11 May 2012, 13:45

Previous topic - Next topic

anssik

On April 27th, the Finnish Radio Symphony orchestra and Sakari Oramo performed Erkki Melartin's Symphony No. 3. What makes the event of interest is the fact that the performance was made from a recently completed copy-edited score. Melartin's six symphonies were recorded for Ondine in the 1990s by Leonid Grin and Tampere Philharmonic Orchestra, but at least in the present case there are considerable differences between the edited score and what we hear on the disc; in the liner notes for the recording there is no indication of any of this, for example, that most of the development section of the first movement of the 3rd symphony was simply left out in the recorded process. If I've understood correctly, the aim of the copy-editing project is to prepare "performance-editions" of all of Melartin's six symphonies, including the last one which was actually published, apparently with quite a few inaccuracies, in the 1930.

eschiss1

6th sym - 1935, I think- one can find it here (by Hansen, though it's hard to tell from the crossed-out/covered-over cover).  Ordinarily since 1935>1922 this would be non-PD-US but apparently not in this case.   All 6 symphonies were republished already in the 1990s but if they're doing so again in better editions still, have at it - more exposure for this very fine composer is ok in my book. I very much enjoy the 3rd symphony but am sad to hear that it was cut!

lechner1110

Thanks for information.  I didn't know about this concert used new edition.
  In any case, I recorded this concert, and will upload it soon.

BFerrell

Melartin's 6th Symphony dates from 1925.

eschiss1

It was, however, published in 1935- which was what I meant. I was trying to make "sometime in the 1930s" less ambiguous. It becomes clear if you follow the link I provided. Thanks.

anssik

Quote from: eschiss1 on Sunday 13 May 2012, 22:59
It was, however, published in 1935- which was what I meant. I was trying to make "sometime in the 1930s" less ambiguous. It becomes clear if you follow the link I provided. Thanks.

Yes. It was published in 1935, on the occasion of Melartin's sixtieth birthday, as a present by his Danish friends. First sketches date back to 1918; the work was completed in 1924 and premiered on February 7th, 1925 to celebrate Melartin's 50th birthday.

Nordvatn

Regarding the new clean-copy version of Symphony No.3 performed in April 2012, having now heard the excellent recording in the downloads section, I find it so different from the Grin CD I'm wondering if one is based on the 1906 original version, and the other on the 1907-8 revision?

JimL

Wait a minute.  Which recorded version had most of the first movement development section cut?  The Grin or the new one?

DennisS

The total timing for the Grin version is 34:54.  The timing for the new version, i.e. the version in the Downloads is 45:56. Having read this thread only this evening, I downloaded the new version (can be found in the Archives folder)but  have not yet listened to it. I am looking forward to hearing it. As some members of this forum know, I am an keen admirer of Melartin's music.

chill319

There appear to be substantial torsos of symphonies 7 and 8, too, to judge from catalog descriptions in the Sibelius library. Far more than exists, say, for Stenhammar's Symphony 3 (at least as it's been recorded). Let's hope that these, too, become part of the project. That said, the music may well be outside the purview of this forum, like Sibelius's astonishing Surusoitto, Op. 111b.

jani

New score of 3rd symphony and also 4th and 5th symphonies are available at Melartin society's website http://www2.siba.fi/Melartinseura/?page=dokumentit

The Grin's recording has also cuts in 4th and 5th symphonies. In 4th symphony the rondo-finale has cuts that destroy the rondo form so that it does not really sound as a rondo anymore. In the 5th symphony there are only small cuts, maybe a minute or two in total.

The story goes, that when the Grin recording was made in 1990s, it was at first offered for Finnish Radio Symphony and Helsinki Philharmonic but they declined because they thought that Melartin's symphonies are not worth recording. Then Tampere did the recording, but they weren't too happy to do it either. It was anyway good that they did it, but it is really amazing that there is no mention about cuts or editing in the sleeve notes. So there really is a need for recording these symphonies in their complete form as Melartin composed them.

petershott@btinternet.com

That is a fascinating message, Jani. Many thanks (at least from me!) for supplying this information.

I collected the individual Ondine discs of the symphonies when they were first issued (around 2001 I think). I've developed a considerable admiration and liking for Melartin, and within the last year have got to know the piano music as well.

However I've always sensed there was something rather 'odd' about either some of the symphonies themselves or Grin's performances of them. I'm now thinking that cuts in the performances might well explain some of the sudden and unexpected discontinuites or jumps in the 5th symphony in particular.

Do you happen to know whether all six symphonies were recorded in these cut versions? If so, what a great tragedy given that the Grin recordings on Ondine were the first (and remain, as far as I know, the only) recordings. And it seems to me a case of 'Shame' on the Finnish Radio SO and Helsinki PO for declining to be involved in first recordings! All this means is that there is surely an urgent case for someone to offer new and uncut recordings of these important works.

I venture that the John Storgards / Tampere / Segerstam Violin Concerto, again on Ondine, is uncut. True or false anyone?

jani

Peter, yes you can hear abrupt changes in tonal sense and motivical development and these really are because of the cuts in the Grin recording. In originals, Melartin doesn't do such abrupt changes of keys. More he likes to develop material in very logical way. You are right that the cuts in the 5th symphony are not particularly smooth.

There are couple new recordings of his piano works, one disc by Maria Lettberg and other by Jean Dubé. I recommend to get both recordings if you don't have them already.

I think the violin concerto is recorded in complete form. And if I remember correctly, I think there are cuts in all symphonies.

petershott@btinternet.com

Many thanks, Jani. You spread enlightenment!

eschiss1

some of the Dubé recordings, btw, the pianist has, I think, made available free on IMSLP (as with other recordings of his. He goes by "Janno" there.)