Joseph Haas divertimento for string trio

Started by eschiss1, Thursday 24 May 2012, 16:14

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

(published 1909)
recording available as a free download (though not here) so talking about the work here.  Just finding it interesting (though not odd, since the composer was a Reger pupil, I think?) that the first movement seems to combine hints, even maybe quotes, of Reger's serenades (so, from one half of that composer's Op 77 and 141 series :) ) and his string trios (the -other- half - Reger published two pairs of works, op. 77a and 77b, 141a and 141b, where each was a serenade for flute, violin and viola followed by a trio for violin, viola and cello).  Then followed by a definite slight quote of another Reger work (the opening to the finale of Reger's 2nd piano trio, Op.102 in E minor) - and one's still barely into the first movement... a nice piece by the way...

(I have the good fortune, in my opinion, of having an unstodgy, enjoyable recording of the passionate and lovely E minor trio- Göbel trio on Etcetera- to judge from a number of reviews of other recordings this is not a universally shared good fortune or I should say, is not so true of other recordings, say other reviewers of earlier recordings. But one digresses and early on.)