News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Ruben Liljefors

Started by FBerwald, Wednesday 20 January 2010, 09:26

Previous topic - Next topic

FBerwald

I just finished listening to the Music of Ruben Liljefors a couple of weeks ago. A sterling CD featuring his Piano concerto in F minor and a Symphony. Really beautiful stuff. Has anyone heard any other works by him?   

Marcus

Yes I have this CD. The music is well crafted, but as interesting as it is, wouldn't make the top of my"hit parade". Nevertheless, a very worthwhile release. The release of any previously unrecorded works are always exciting.
Bo Hyttner has done sterling work (sorry for the pun),in rescuing some of these romantic works. I have nearly all of his releases, and the symphonies by Buttner, Noskowski,Cliffe,Zweers,Mielck,Andree, Olsson,Hagg,Huber, & Lindblad the standouts for me. An excellent label and long live Bo Hyttner - I look forward to every new Sterling release. I hope Cliffe's Symphony no2 is not too far away, and more of Buttner.

Syrelius

Quote from: FBerwald on Wednesday 20 January 2010, 09:26
I just finished listening to the Music of Ruben Liljefors a couple of weeks ago. A sterling CD featuring his Piano concerto in F minor and a Symphony. Really beautiful stuff. Has anyone heard any other works by him?

I don't think Liljefors wrote many other orchestral works - a suite ("Summer") and a few smaller works. He did write some vocal works, though; cantatas, songs etc. His songs include "När det lider mot jul" which is one of the best known christmas carols in Sweden. Liljefors is not widely known even in Sweden, unlike his brother Bruno, who was a painter.  Ruben's son Ingemar was a composer too, and his grandson Mats is a conductor.

thalbergmad

Indeed, Mats was conductor on the CD in question.

Must be nice bringing your grandfathers works to the public.

Thal