News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

A Moszkowski Symphony?

Started by eschiss1, Tuesday 29 May 2012, 11:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Gareth Vaughan

So sorry. Apologies. I thought we were talking about the Joan of Arc "symphony". Must pay more attention.

vesteel

I copied the exposition in Sibelius and ran it through NotePerformer (the most realistic VST I can access) and this is the result: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1QBwQbzh0_vWlJ8dxcxesa2G6r9ltEiWD

vesteel

Quote from: Monju on Tuesday 01 May 2018, 12:27

Here's a simple computerized midi of the first movement I created. It runs some eleven minutes (including a repeated exposition). My apologies for any mistakes in transcription. It's best to listen while following the score to better grasp the full range of dynamics of the piece.

Ah someone already made one. Are you transcribing the other movements?

tpaloj

I'm only working on the Larghetto  :) No plans for the other movements.

I wanted to create a simple demonstration quickly, omitting most dynamics (and little time spared pondering misspelled notes, spotty handwriting at places). Yours sounds more like the piece actually will. Thanks for also making it available!

eschiss1

Thank you in earnest. From experience (mostly with chamber music and occasionally reductions of orchestral works, in my case) it's _hard_ to do that (and I haven't used MIDI-creation programs in years... well, ok, I gather Lilypond can do so, but haven't really worked out how, except for, iirc, one semi-successful something.)

vesteel

Alright I'm gonna try to work on the Scherzo. I'll post the recording once I'm done

tpaloj

Hello to all. A soundfont performance doesn't do any justice to the 3rd movement... scored for Winds, 2 Horns and Strings (rest of Brass + Percussion tacet), in 12/8 time. It's been very difficult to create a convincing recording. It's best again to listen following the manuscript - starting from page 91 - to realize the voicing and dynamics.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5eqk9zoaz6ey5bm/Moszkowski%20Symphony%20-%20Larghetto%20%28computerized%29.mp3?dl=0

I'm going to tidy up a proper score and post it later this week or next week if I have time.

Martin Eastick

I have now alerted Simon Perry at Hyperion concerning this symphony - which, IMHO, certainly needs to be performed and recorded. Thanks in part to the easy availability of the MS full score, and the computerised realization efforts of those here, he has promised to bring this to the attention of conductors who would be best placed to give the work proper appraisal, and if the response is positive, to consider taking the matter further! We just have to now sit back and hope........!

Gareth Vaughan

Brilliant, Martin. I wonder of the "Joan of Arc symphony" would be a suitable coupling.

Martin Eastick

The "Joan of Arc" symphony would, of course, be the most suitable, but the two symphonies together would surely exceed the playing time for one CD - unless a double album (are we pushing our luck here!) was a possibility, which would then offer even more space for perhaps at least one of the orchestral suites (Op39, Op47 or Op79)! Anyway, let's see what happens - and keep fingers crossed!

Alan Howe

That's really good progress. Thank you to all of those involved.

eschiss1

Or if one's really pushing one's luck, I wonder if the Moszkowski D minor symphony and Grimm's symphony in D minor (or another substantial, serious, never-recorded symphony from the mid-19th century or so) would be an appropriate coupling and fill out sufficient of a 80-minute disc? (Unlike some reviewers, with content like that (hopefully excellently recorded and performed of course), I would not complain that it were "merely" 60 minutes instead of the 79.5+ they seem to also request as a minimum :D )

Gareth Vaughan

Do we have an estimated performance time for the symphony, please?

Alan Howe

I think it's pushing our luck to expect a conductor to take on Grimm's Symphony as well as the Moszkowski.

tpaloj

QuoteDo we have an estimated performance time for the symphony, please?

1st Mvt: After a brief Maestoso opening rest marked Allegro appassionato. About some 12-14 minutes at most, exposition repeat included.

2nd Mvt: vesteel was working on the Scherzo, maybe he could give an estimate?

3rd Mvt: Larghetto generally at 66 bpm was around 9 minutes.

4th Mvt: Haven't examined much of the music itself, but a simple calculation - 321 bars (4/4 time) marked Presto non tanto, last 322-348 marked PiĆ¹ mosso - about 9-10 minutes?