News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

A Moszkowski Symphony?

Started by eschiss1, Tuesday 29 May 2012, 11:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Lionel Harrsion

Quote from: eschiss1 on Monday 16 July 2012, 04:26
If something's inaccurate @ IMSLP, I'm more than a bit sleepy, and not tracking (pun...ok, pun actually sort of intended...) right now (or I'd do so myself instanter) but one thing about the site is that it's not -that- hard to fix, apologies for my attitude...  and thanks in advance for so doing...
Sorry if my words offended.  I think IMSLP is a wonderful resource and I wasn't having a dig at it specifically -- mine was just a general observation that it's maybe unwise to rely on catatlogues, liner notes and so forth for accuracy in such matters.  Anyhow back to Moszkowski...

eschiss1

Not offended and I apologize for my sharp reaction.

It often deserves quite a few digs anyway- I say this as an admin and a fan and as an editor who slips up more than just a bit...- and agreed- and yes, I'd have to wonder too why someone with the score to hand would make such a mistake. It's not the first time on the site. (Viz.: Dussek sonatas- very few, not most all, have 3 movements... anyway. Right. Back to Moszkowski.
But yes, hoping that something will come of this (has anyone here already contacted BNF? I forget.) and looking forward to, if it does / when it does.

(...
has there even been a recording of the Jeanne d'Arc symphonic poem? At least that exists in published score, from which parts could presumably be extracted given time and patience etc. ... maybe the parts are already somewhere. I don't see a recording, though. Maybe not commercially viable, as usual, unless coupled with an orchestration of Etincelles... erm... er.)

FBerwald

Any updates regarding the Symphony?
I noticed that when everyone discussed the excellent Piano Concerto no one mentioned the recording by David Bar-Illan. This is in my opinion the definitive version... I know..... definitive is a controversial word but when you listen to this particular recording everything else pales in comparison. The 1st and 4th movement especially will have you sit up and take notice.. NO longer the Moszkowski the Salon composer who wrote one [or two] piano Concerto(s) but a force to be reckoned in league with Scharwenka; And anyone who says Moszkowski is a miniaturist will eat his own words!!  ;D  Hope I haven't offended anyone!   :D

Alan Howe

Quote from: FBerwald on Saturday 01 June 2013, 17:51
I noticed that when everyone discussed the excellent Piano Concerto no one mentioned the recording by David Bar-Illan. This is in my opinion the definitive version... I know..... definitive is a controversial word but when you listen to this particular recording everything else pales in comparison.

Good to have this opinion. I'd always thought Lane pretty well definitive - and comparing Bar-Illan on YouTube with the Hyperion performance reveals a rather murkier orchestral sound, so I'm not convinced. Another problem is that the recording mentioned isn't exactly easy to get hold of, so I'll be sticking with Lane.

FBerwald

I understand your qualms but I find the pianism stunning. Lane sounds [sorry to say this] limpid and petite next to Bar-Illan. The score is not handled with kid gloves as if they feel Moszkowski needs special reading to make a convincing argument, rather a Moszkowski that needs no apologies and thats what I like best about it. Maybe the youtube sound  is bad!! :(

Alan Howe

Still doesn't solve the problem of non-availability.

Martin Eastick

I also wholeheartedly would endorse Bar-Illan's performance as the most exciting of this now quite well-represented concerto! I remember that when Hyperion commenced the Romantic Concerto series with Lane, I was a little disappointed personally with the end product, also with regards to the Paderewski (Earl Wild is the ONLY version IMHO!). Both Bar-Illan and Wild give these two concerti the best possible opportunity to shine in all their brilliance and are both well-supported by their respective orchestras. However, I certainly would be more than happy to hear Lane in Moszkowski's Op3 (Op6?) - sooner rather than later!

Alan Howe

I have emailed Audiofon, the label which released Bar-Illan's recording. We'll see what transpires...

FBerwald

Any news reg. the symphonies? Since we now have a performance of the long lost 1st concerto...... :)

cypressdome

BNF has now digitized the manuscript of the symphony which is available online.

Alan Howe

Thanks. It'll be interesting to read what others more expert than I make of it...

eschiss1

JimL

It seems to have a rather long scherzo.  From what I can tell the movements are:

I. Maestoso - Allegro appassionato (D minor)
II. Scherzo: Vivo (F Major)
III. Larghetto (B-flat Major)
IV. Finale: Presto non tanto (D minor - Major)

minacciosa

How fantastic to have the score to this symphony. This interests me greatly, and Moszkowski is way overdue for a recording of his orchestral works. I'd love to do this, and will see if I can interest some producers.

Alan Howe