News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

A Moszkowski Symphony?

Started by eschiss1, Tuesday 29 May 2012, 11:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Lionel Harrsion

Quote from: Steve B on Saturday 14 July 2012, 18:17
is cyclic form used in the PC have u noticed?
Steve
Yes, Steve, and used with considerable subtlety!  I like the way Moszkowski often takes the listener in unexpected directions but his sense of architecture is so secure that the transitions are invariably completely convincing.  And now I must listen to the violin concerto again!

jerfilm

Two favorites - the old Ponti recording - I think we often like the first interpretation of what we hear.

The second is by Neil O'doan and if you haven't listened to this one, go here:

http://beemp3.com/download.php?file=5085280&song=Moszkowski+-+Piano+Concerto+in+E+major+op.59+-+II.+Andante%2C+III.+Scherzo+%26amp%3B+Vivace

dances43

Link to the Piano Concerto is dead - any chance of a re-upload?

Thanks.

David

jerfilm

I corrected the link in the above post.   You may have to do a little digging there to find the first movement but I think it's relatively easy to find.  Good luck and enjoy.   Sorry for the bother.

Jerry

Steve B

Lionel, thanks; I will listen again(to the PC) to see how the themes, however rhizomically, relate:)
Jerfilm, I was unaware of this recording :I shall listen now; thanks. Steve

Steve B

Jerfilm, i just tried the link; it said "access denied"; "malicious link/material"; this was kaspersky!Steve. Is it on any other download site/Utube?
Thanks steve. p.s said this on movement 1

jerfilm

Sorry about that.  Funny it works for me.  However, here's a site you can download it from:

http://pianosociety.com/cms/index.php?section=212

Right click on each movement and then pick: Save Target As and you will get the download.  Lucky folks in Seattle who got to hear this concert....... :-\  And judging from the applause at the end, they thought so too.....

I also really like his performance of Rachmaninoff's First Piano Concerto which he takes at a slightly slower speed, at least in the first movement with great effect, I think.

Enjoy

Jerry

JimL

Quote from: Steve B on Sunday 15 July 2012, 16:39
Lionel, thanks; I will listen again(to the PC) to see how the themes, however rhizomically, relate:)
Jerfilm, I was unaware of this recording :I shall listen now; thanks. Steve
The PC (actually now the 2nd PC) is quite the cyclic work.  Besides the reminiscence of the slow movement to which it is linked before the coda of the scherzo (a la Raff's Im Walde Symphony) the first theme of movement I recurs right at the end of the finale (a la Brahms' 3rd Symphony).  There doesn't seem to be any development or transformation of the materials from movement to movement, though.

Lionel Harrsion

Quote from: JimL on Sunday 15 July 2012, 17:21
There doesn't seem to be any development or transformation of the materials from movement to movement, though.
There are motivic relationships between the movements -- the Scherzo's principal subject is derived from the passage immediately after letter D (Peters full score) in the slow movement (although it's not immediately apparent because of the great difference in the speeds, of course).

eschiss1

I've been able to download O'Doan's performance from a link from IMSLP, I think... ah yes. The mp3s have been uploaded there, in fact (with full credit to pianist and orchestra of course) as with some other Pandora Records items.

JimL

Quote from: Lionel Harrsion on Sunday 15 July 2012, 17:45
Quote from: JimL on Sunday 15 July 2012, 17:21
There doesn't seem to be any development or transformation of the materials from movement to movement, though.
There are motivic relationships between the movements -- the Scherzo's principal subject is derived from the passage immediately after letter D (Peters full score) in the slow movement (although it's not immediately apparent because of the great difference in the speeds, of course).
Ah, good catch, Lionel.  That had escaped me.  Without knowing the letters in the score, I think I know exactly the theme you're talking about.

Lionel Harrsion

JimL

Thanks.  Yup, that's the theme I thought you were talking about.  BTW, that movement listing is inaccurate.  The Scherzo is also in C-sharp minor, like the Andante.  Hence the ending in D-flat Major (the enharmonic equivalent of C-sharp Major).  The movement listing has it as being in E Major.

Lionel Harrsion

Quote from: JimL on Sunday 15 July 2012, 22:28
Thanks.  Yup, that's the theme I thought you were talking about.  BTW, that movement listing is inaccurate. 
You're welcome, Jim.  I had noticed that listing inaccuracy although, to be honest, I seldom bother to look at such things since they're wrong almost as often as they're right.  You can't even trust publishers' catalogues to get movement listings correct!

eschiss1

If something's inaccurate @ IMSLP, I'm more than a bit sleepy, and not tracking (pun...ok, pun actually sort of intended...) right now (or I'd do so myself instanter) but one thing about the site is that it's not -that- hard to fix, apologies for my attitude...  and thanks in advance for so doing...