News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Arnic

Started by malito, Wednesday 30 May 2012, 00:30

Previous topic - Next topic

malito

Does anyone have the tempo markings of the Arnic 3rd, 5th or 8th symphonies?  Are there any other Arnic works available?   I'd sure love toknow the tempo markings of the three symphonies I have.  Malito

eschiss1

Hrm. Hopefully since there's been a CD recording (George Pehlivanian; Orkester Slovenske filharmonije) of symphony 8 (released 2007) op.40 there should be track listings somewhere... (and one of sym. 3.)

There have been commercial recordings of other works of his, including his piano trio op.6 (in the 2-CD set Festival komorne glasbe XX. stoletja Radenci 1963-1998 : antologija) and his clarinet concerto opus 69. I think while I've downloaded the 5th symphony I've only listened to the Wild Chase, so far!...

(I see there's another(?) recording of sym. 8 conducted by Lovrenc Arnič, released on CD also.)

eschiss1

There's a partially helpful description, in Slovene (ian) but translatable, of the 3rd symphony at this site. It gives the premiere date, by the way, as 28 November 1938 (and Matacic, later famous too as a pioneering Bruckner conductor I think, as the conductor.) ("The first part of the symphony was performed April last year by the Ljubljana Philharmonic Orchestra under John Brezovica. The second and third movements are premiered today." from the notes of the 1938 performance, I think- not sure I'm getting it right.)

eschiss1

Better still, the list of symphonies at the same site - http://www2.arnes.si/~ljsikka3/arnic/simfonije.htm  - has for some of the symphonies a list of movements. Yay!

ttle

For Symphony No. 5, the three movements are:
Allegro moderato - Andante - Živahno (allegro).
Many movement titles for Slovene works can be found on the DSS website.

JimL

The 5th Symphony has a nickname, the Partikularna.  What does that translate to?  Is it a place, or is it something along the lines of Berwald's Symphonie singuliere?

ttle

To add some confusion, the Fifth has yet another title, under which it was recently premiered: Vojne vihre. My guess would be that both titles refer more or less directly to the storms of the war. The composer, who had subsequently been deported to Dachau, more or less put the score in a drawer and decided to rewrite it completely years later - the result being his Ninth and last symphony, Vojna in mir (War and peace, without any reference to L. Tolstoy's novel). It seems that it took a lot of persuasion from his close ones before he took up the Fifth. I have not heard the Ninth but the Fifth, as it is, strikes me as one of his most powerful and gripping works.

JimL

Thank you sir.  I'm able to split it now that I have the movements.  It is indeed a great work.