Rudolph Simonsen(1889-1947): a Catalogue of the Orchestral Music

Started by Dundonnell, Thursday 31 May 2012, 16:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

RUDOLPH SIMONSEN: A CATALOGUE OF THE ORCHESTRAL MUSIC

1910:   Overture in G minor: 14 minutes    +  (cpo cd)
1913:   Kyrie-Gratias-Gloria for choir and orchestra   
1915:   Piano Concerto in F minor: 30 minutes    +  (Danacord cd)
1920:   Symphony No.1 in C minor "Zion": 35 minutes   +  (cpo cd)
1921:   Symphony No.2 "Hellas": 21 minutes   +  (Danacord and cpo cds)
1923:   Symphony No.3 "Roma"
1925:   Symphony No.4 "Denmark"
1927:   "Winter" for soprano, chorus and orchestra
1933:   Cantata for the 100th Anniversary of the Jewish Synagogue in Copenhagen for soloist, men's chorus and orchestra

There are at least two other Overtures and other short orchestral pieces.

alberto

The Symphony n.2 "Hellas" exists also on Danacord (cond. Launy Grondhal, 1954 recording, 1996 Cd release).

eschiss1

That CD also contains early recordings of symphonies by, I think, Bendix and Børresen ? .. .but I don't think these catalogues were supposed to be complete discographies (that would be a daunting task for some composers. Eep.) (Hrm. DACOCD 370-71: Sandby 4, Simonsen 2, Glass 5 and Børresen 2. No Bendix, my mistake. Bendix/Simonsen is another Danacord CD, of piano concertos. Sandby- interesting (or one hopes... )) (Sandby bio)

Simonsen's 2 symphonies are available at Sibley in score, and at IMSLP.

alberto

For Eric.
I refer to a double Danacord Cd -370-371- (which I own) of early recordings of Symphonies by L.Glass (n.5), Simonsen (n.2), Borresen (n.2), Sandby (n.4).
I agree about the impossibility of complete discographies. But why not tiny (anyway harmless) additions suggested by one's own collection?
As to myself I am grateful for the inclusion of discography indications (for me "possible purchases").

Dundonnell

I do my best......within the paramaters I set myself ;D

....and I am always grateful for corrections or additions :)

Gareth Vaughan

Simonsen's 2 symphonies are available at Sibley in score, and at IMSLP.

I assume you mean his first two. Are numbers 3 & 4 published?

eschiss1

you're right of course. I think I was too sleepy when I wrote that, but yes, I meant the first two.
I don't know about nos. 3 and 4 at the moment (and they'd be PD-CA-only - not EU or US- if the copyright is properly on the score, etc.- because of the date. Then again, the first two symphonies have no copyright on the score, leading Rochester Library to have conjectured they were published 10 years before they were even composed. So... it's possible that if they were published, they could be hosted and be viewed by Canadians and Americans though not Europeans (since he died after 1941.) (And then there's the possibility of hosting scanned-in manuscripts which is... ok, that screwed-up area of law and its exceptions and subsections is discussed on IMSLP and shouldn't take us further afield...)

eschiss1

Simonsen, symphony 3, published by Hansen in 19??.. ok, that's - promising- if one can find or make a scan thereof.
"Symphoni i 3 Satser : [No. 4]" held in manuscript by a library in Denmark (specifically, Det Kgl. Danske Musikkonservatorium, Biblioteket.)

Dundonnell

The Symphony No.3 may have been published by Hansen but it is certainly not in their current catalogue.

eschiss1

It's at several libraries (hopefully some person or library in possession of it will scan it eventually, though only Sibley @ Rochester seems to cast a wide net about these things, even asking for things outside their collection and beyond things published by their compatriots or publishers on the home shores- truly excellent work done by others that do have a ... trying to remove foot in mouth, here. DKB which also does very fine scanning work -

qv Here

- would be a natural but they probably can't until he's within EU copyright, without legal dispensation, I suppose.) (They're doing a complete (Carl August) Nielsen project among other things. Ah, for more such! Apologies for (heartfelt but inappropriate) digression.)

I've been under the impression for some time that Hansen's current catalog is rather slim compared to its former glory with much dropped in recent years, but I would be glad to know that they just have things on rental, or somesuch...