20th-Century East European Symphonies Recommendations!

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 01 June 2012, 22:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Help!!
Not having the time to download and assess the many 20th-century symphonies from, e.g., Hungary and the former Czechoslovakia which are now available here, I would be extremely grateful for recommendations as to which might be the most rewarding to listen to (and why).

Alan Howe

Please, anyone out there! I'd really appreciate some recommendations....

ttle

Well, surely other listmembers shall be happy to assist, but are still pondering when they can find enough time to state the "why"!
Obviously the "why" is indeed the most fruitful part for discussion, however, allow me to start modestly.

One of the best Hungarian uploads can be found in the French music section: Harsányi Tibor's Symphony in C. Harsányi was a member of the so-called "Ecole de Paris", a group of fairly modernist non-French composers living in Paris in the 1920s, together with Conrad Beck, Bohuslav Martinů, Marcel Mihalovici, Alexandre Tansman and Alexandr Tcherepnin. He is best remembered for his Histoire du petit tailleur, which has been performed several times alongside Stravinsky's Histoire du soldat in recent years. However, his symphony should come as a major find to many listeners. It is truculent in a Gallic way, but also full-blooded as befits a highly skilled Hungarian-born composer. Quite a few French postwar symphonies are competently written, even attractive and inventive, yet sometimes tend to meander or lack inner necessity. In contrast, Harsányi's never loses its way and impresses as a robust, colorful, powerful statement. There aren't so many Hungarian postwar symphonies at that level either, actually. From what I remember, Kadosa's 6th is good, his 7th too but more conversational, I have not found time yet to hear the rest.

If you do not know them yet, symphonies by Hanuš are definitely worth knowing. Some find them heavy and dull. Not me. The Third is very obviously in the grand Czech tradition, and a worthy heir for that matter. String writing is opulent but not thick, thematic invention warm and slightly bitter, the sense of form strong and full of nobility. It seems to encompass the best of a glorious lineage, much as Jirák was praised for by N. Slonimsky (rightfully so - his Third symphony is a masterpiece). Obviously Kabeláč has stronger claims to be the major Czech postwar pathfinder symphonist. His Sixth, with solo clarinet, might be the wildest and definitely one of his most impressive achievements.

I am unsure whether Doubrava's Third has been uploaded here, it came as a big surprise to me. Doubrava is generally ignored as a typical, bombast-ridden communist symphonist. By the time he completed his Third, 1956 events had brutally stripped him of many former beliefs. This is a monumental, raw, poignant statement, not only in its bare sincerity but also its painful loftiness. Doubrava passed away two years later, aged 51.

ttle

Sorry, I thought that you had left Slovakia out. General notions are usually simplistic but, in a nutshell, Slovak composers I know do not aim at groundbreaking originality. Slovak music tends to be less fiery, more cool-headed than that of more famous Czech composers. The "liquid" element which can be so pervasive from Smetana to Martinů is often replaced with more moderately paced, slightly dancing features. Cikker's symphony '1945', actually his Third (the first two dating back to 1930 and 1937, respectively), is a very good example. Although his position as one of the "big 3" of Slovak modern music is undisputed, Cikker was never known as a bold modernist and this symphony adds a retrospective quality. However, it is extremely well written, with a fluidity of thought, a sense of formal balance, an ability to impulse fresh ideas in a fairly classical frame. Unsurprisingly, Slovak music also gives a feel of the highlands. The same words could be used for much Slovene music, even though the two countries are not even neighbours and are culturally quite distinct.

Alan Howe

This is just what I was looking for - I am very grateful indeed!

eschiss1

In regards Slovak symphonies I recommend Ján Zimmer's (1926-93) symphonies- I uploaded a couple. (Some of his piano concertos are here too. I have his 5th, too- not sure the provenance though.) Most are available on broadcast tapes- only two have been commercially recorded and not yet available on CD, alas but still (sorry!) recommended. Most are in the Prokofiev-Shostakovich orbit for want of a better description- that is not a -good- description but it sometimes comes to mind (stylistically; I also find them inventive and involving)- but his 10th symphony's first movement is a humorous modernization of the corresponding movement of a late Haydn symphony...

markniew

That might be in part related to the subject. it's duplication of the post included in the Polish Music Duscussion thread.

Today I have found an interesting article on the situation in Polish music at the end of 40s /beginning of 50s, including preparations for the 1st Festival of Polish Music where the state authorities requested the composers to write /present new music for this occasion (meeting precisely indicated expectations). Many pieces declared to be composed are mentioned. Some were materialized while others did not. A part of composers names are not known today. Some of the mentioned and composed music is not known (at least to me, and not issued). Note that a number of music composed for the purposes of the festival have been uploaded in this forum. Interesting is a case study on Panufnik and his Symphony on Peace (also uploaded before).

I am quite sure that the situation in Poland was to some extent typical for the countries subordinated to Soviet Union. Because of that I duplicate this post in two threads.

http://www.usc.edu/dept/polish_music/PMJ/issue/5.1.02/thomasfile.html

Alan Howe

Any further thoughts or recommendations, anybody?