Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

WILLEM PIJPER: A CATALOGUE OF THE ORCHESTRAL MUSIC

1913:    March for school orchestra with ad lib. percussion
1915:   Orchestral Piece with Piano: 13 minutes
1916:   "Fetes galantes" for mezzo-soprano and orchestra: 10 minutes
1917:   Symphony No.1 in D "Pan": 32 minutes
1919:   "Romance sans paroles" for mezzo-soprano and orchestra
1921:   Symphony No.2: 19 minutes    +  (Composers Voice and Donemus cds)
1926:   Symphony No.3: 15 minutes   + (BBC Legends, Decca Original  and Q Disc cds)
1927:   Piano Concerto: 12 minutes    +  (Donemus and Olympia cds)
1928:   Six Symphonic Epigrams: 7 minutes    +  (Olympia cd)
1932-33: "Reveilles-vous piccars" for men's chorus and orchestra: 5 minutes
1934:   Two Ballades for women's choir and chamber orchestra: 7 minutes
1936/47: Cello Concerto: 13 minutes    +  (NM Classics, Audiophile Classics and Audio Legends cds)
1939:   Violin Concerto: 15 minutes
1940:   Six Adagios for orchestra: 10 minutes   +  (Donemus cd)
1941-43: Hymne for bass and orchestra: 13 minutes

Source:

http://www.willempijper.nl/

eschiss1

I think the Symphonic Epigrams have been on a limited-distribution Radio Nederland CD set (Dutch composers of the twentieth century : (fifth series)). It (they) and the piano concerto used to be on the Olympia CD set 400 Years of Dutch Music, Volume 5, with Andriessen's Kuhnau Variations, Johan Wagenaar's Cyrano overture, Hïeroglyphen by Ruyneman, and Otterloo's Symphonietta (from LP and radio recordings.)
Monteux's recording of symphony 3 also turns up on a "STEMRA" CD (I may be misreading not very clear information. The couplings are Andriessen's Symphonic Etude, Otterloo's Symphonietta - again, and Badings' Harp concerto. I have some of these works from Radio Nederlands LPs, but usually in recordings that have since turned up on CD.)

Christo

The 1936 Cello Concerto had it's historical recording by cellist Marix Loevensohn with the Concertgebouw Orchestra under Willem Mengelberg at 22 November 1938. I guess that's on the "Audio Legends cd" that I have also on the 'Concertgebouw Series' by Audiophile Classics APL 101.541.

The recording is interesting for its speech by Mengelberg on the occasion of the farewell of Marix Loevensohn, with fragments of his response. This is November 1938. Exactly two years later all other jewish colleagues of Loevensohn were forced out of the orchestra, many of them prominent. Which means that historical recordings from that date, as e.g. the Overture Cyrano de Bergerac by Johan Wagenaar from April 1942, still under Mengelberg, were played ""Judenfrei"".